Khamtey rice cultivation boosts income for Samdrup Jongkhar farmers

Cultivating Khamtey rice has not only achieved rice self-sufficiency for the villagers of Samdrup Jongkhar’s Phuentshothang Gewog but has also brought substantial revenue for the villagers. With the increasing demand for this variety of rice, the income of the villagers is steadily growing. The villagers of Samdrup Jongkhar mostly grow Khamtey rice variety.

Fields in Phuentshothang Gewog look lush green with paddy, the Khamtey. The villagers will harvest the paddy in the coming months.

The market has never been a problem for the Khamtey growers. They have not only attracted customers from within the country but in India as well.

Prabriti Rai, a farmer said “I am cultivating Khamtey rice in another land to earn income. I cultivate Khamtey rice for self-consumption and to make some money. In a year, I earn about Nu 30,000 to 40,000 from selling Khamtey rice.”

Uma Devi Adhikari, another farmer said “We can sell Khamtey rice easily and the government agencies also take it.We can mix Khamtey rice with other rice for consumption. If I sell all the rice, I earn about Nu 50,000 to 60,000 but we keep fifty per cent for self-consumption.”

Tshering Choden, who is also a farmer said “We get good prices for Khamtey rice compared to other rice. People buy Khamtey rice so, we mostly cultivate Khamtey here. I used to sell 50 per cent of the yield.”

With the installation of chain link fencing last year, villagers now do not have to worry about wild animals such as elephants and wild boar destroying their crops.

However, villagers say monkeys continue to destroy the crops.

Villagers sell a kilogramme of Khamtey rice for Nu 110 to 120.

Phuentshothang Gewog produces more than 160 metric tonnes of Khamtey paddy. Other gewogs such as Pemathang, Samrang and Langchenphu Gewogs also produce Khamtey rice.

Kinley Wangchuk, Samdrup Jongkhar

Edited by Tshering Zam

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube