Jomolhari Mountain Festival celebrates snow leopard conservation

The Jigme Dorji Wangchuck National Park has recorded an almost 40 per cent increase in its snow leopard population in 2023, with 131 of these majestic and endangered big cats inhabiting the mountains around Jomolhari. To celebrate this achievement and promote the continued preservation of the species, the two-day 10th Jomolhari Mountain Festival began today. The event, graced by Home Minister Tshering, attracted hundreds of locals and international tourists.

Held in the picturesque village of Soe, at the base of the majestic Jomolhari, the festival aims to promote eco-tourism and community vitality.

The people of Soe, Lingzhi, Yaksa, and Nubri showcased their traditional dances, local handicrafts, and food stalls, highlighting the lifestyle and customs of highland communities.

Organised to raise environmental awareness, the event underscored the importance of snow leopard conservation.

Short skits, exhibits, and talks by officials from Jigme Dorji Wangchuck National Park highlighted efforts to protect the endangered species that roam the region.

“The main objective of the festival is to cherish the harmonious coexistence of the highland communities along with the snow leopard. This benefits the highland communities as well as the wild animals. Moreover, when tourists engage at the festival and learn about our coexistence, lifestyle, traditions and culture, the number of tourists will only rise. For instance, we had little more than 60 international guests last year, but this year it has doubled,” said Phub Dorji, Thimphu Dzongda.

Tourists attending the event praised the festival for its unique blend of cultural richness and environmental advocacy.

“I think it’s amazing. I love the idea of community and also about the protection of the snow leopard. I think the preservation of all animals is important. I think we all coexist and live here on this planet we need to live together. I don’t know about the snow leopard, but I am learning,” said Brad Robinson, a tourist from the USA.

“It is an exciting festival. We can witness culture, unique customs and dances. And I have just had an opportunity to eat Yak butter ice cream. For an Australian that loves ice cream, it’s very exciting,” said Mesh, a tourist from Australia.

The event has provided the people of Soe, Lingzhi, Yaksa, and Nubri with an opportunity to boost their income through the sale of yak and dairy products, as well as local foods.

“We can make some income during such gathering. People from outside, people from neighbouring villages such as Lingzhi, Yaksa and Nubri, come here and visit our stalls. Other days, we cannot do business like this,” said Pema Gyeltshen, a resident of Soe in Thimphu.

“We are happy that we can do some business during the festival. Our main source of income is cordyceps, but when the harvest is down, we must rely on such events for income. We are allowed to camp like this and do business only during the festival,” said Deki Yangzom, another resident of Soe.

The event also featured entertaining and engaging sporting activities, in which tourists participated as well. Prizes were awarded to participants as a gesture of appreciation.

Namgay Wangchuk, Paro

Edited by Sherub Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube