Wangphu’s lone blacksmith thrives while keeping tradition alive

Despite the art of blacksmithing declining, a lone blacksmith in Wangphu Gewog under Samdrup Jongkhar, is thriving in his craft. Not only is he preserving this traditional art form, but he has also turned blacksmithing into his primary source of income.

64-year-old Duba is seen diligently working on creating agricultural tools such as hoes and sickles in his modest hut.

Duba has dedicated the past two decades to his craft and earns a monthly income of Nu 30,000 to 40,000 per month through his craftsmanship.

“Villagers out here struggle to get agricultural tools, so I am doing it. They pay me for making tools. I did not learn it from anyone else, I knew it because of my own interest.”

Villagers appreciate Duba’s work as it provides them with locally made agricultural tools, eliminating the need to depend on imported ones.

Dawa, a villager said “He makes agricultural tools and also repairs them, so it benefits us. If he does not make them, we will have to buy imported ones.”

Tashi Choden, another villager said “It is convenient as we get agricultural tools here only. Otherwise, we will have to buy them from India paying high prices.”

Duba worries that the art of blacksmithing may fade away as younger generations show little interest in learning or continuing the tradition.

“If I do agricultural work, wild animals destroy all the crops, so blacksmithing is better for me. I do not have to worry about wild animals and it is profitable. I advise the younger generation to learn the craft to earn income but they are not interested in learning.

Apart from agricultural tools, Duba also makes kitchen utensils such as rice spatulas and ladles.

Though the future of blacksmithing in Wangphu Gewog may seem uncertain, Duba’s work not only sustains his livelihood but also keeps alive an ancient craft that has shaped the daily lives of the people in his community.

Kinley Wangchuk, Samdrup Jongkhar

Edited by Kipchu 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube