Hailstorm in April affects orange production in Tsirang

Unlike last year, mandarin orange growers in Tsirang are concerned about the poor quality and low production of oranges. Residents reported that the unprecedented hailstorm in April, which struck during the flowering season, had destroyed the flowers and leaves of the orange trees. Tsirang remains one of the major orange-producing districts in the country.

Dili Ram Kalikotay from Dunglagang Gewog visits his orange orchard to check the fruits.

Last year, he harvested three bolero pickup truckloads from his orchard, earning Nu 220,000.

However, this year, he is uncertain about how much he will earn from his orchard.

“The hailstorm had severely damaged orange trees this year. My hope to earn a good income has been shattered. It will be difficult for my family to sustain this year.”

The hailstorm affected eight gewogs in the district, with Kilkhorthang, Dunglagang, and Semjong gewogs suffering the most severe damage.

According to the damage report compiled by the Tsirang District Administration, the storm damaged over 58,000 fruit trees and vegetables on more than 290 acres of land, resulting in a monetary loss of around Nu 55 M.

The report highlighted that the hailstorm caused mandarin trees to lose up to 70 per cent of their flowers.

“My orange orchard fetched me Nu 450,000 last year. But I am not sure this time because I see only a few fruits on the trees,” said Santi Maya Chhetri, an orange grower in Gosarling Gewog.

Puspalal Acharya, anorange grower in Kilkhorthang Gewog said “Initially I was expecting over Nu 700,000. I got Nu 350,000 last year and expect almost double the amount this year. But now I am expecting only around Nu 50,000 and for self-consumption.”

“Nothing is left in my orchard, which has matured trees but out here, there are some fruits,” said Tashi Phuntsho, an orange grower in Gosarling Gewog.

Moreover, the orange growers report that none of the buyers have come to book their orchards or make advance payments, unlike in previous years.

Dili Ram Kalikotay said “Till now, not a single buyer visited my orchard. A few fruits on the trees are of also unusual quality due to the hailstorm during the flowering season. These quality mandarins will be rejected during the grading.”

Tsirang produced over three thousand metric tonnes of oranges last year.

Pema Tshewang, Tsirang

Edited by Tshering Zam

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube