Many unaware of new taxi and bus fare rates following BCTA’s revision

The Bhutan Construction and Transport Authority recently revised fare rates for public transport buses and taxis. While the increase is not substantial, it is the first revision since August last year. According to the Road Safety and Transport Regulations 2021, fares are revised every six months. However, many people are unaware of the officially approved rates, especially for taxi fares.

For a taxi ride within the city, the rate for a five- to six-seater taxi has increased to Nu 25.81 per kilometre for the entire vehicle. If the ride is shared, the fare must be divided among the passengers.

For travel between districts, the rate for a five- to six-seater taxi has been raised to Nu 23.31 per kilometre. Fares are slightly higher for taxis with more seats.

Despite the existence of official rates, people BBS spoke to and many on social media said that they were unaware of the rates.

They also said that while fares for shared rides are close to the official rates, they differ when a passenger reserves the entire taxi.

“I live in Changbangdu and I always go local in a taxi. Some ask for 200 and some ask for 150. I did not know there was such a rate by the BCTA,” said Yeshi Dema, a resident of Thimphu.

“I live in Lungtenphu and till town, some ask for Nu 80 and some Nu 100. But I do not question them regarding the price,” said Pema Dechen, another resident.

Following the revised fare announcement, people on social media suggested that the authority should inform people who cannot access websites and social media about the new rates.

In response, the BCTA said that they inform bus operators and the taxi association about any fare revisions, so drivers should be fully aware of the updated rates.

The authority also added that while they conduct ad hoc checks along highways, limited human resources pose a challenge to effective monitoring.

Meanwhile, the Bhutan Taxi Association said that if the BCTA consulted with them before making any revisions, they could suggest more practically applicable fares.

“Regarding the revised fare by the BCTA, we support the new rates. However, according to their regulation, if we take one passenger from Babesa to town and the per-kilometre cost is Nu 25, the passenger should pay Nu 25 multiplied by nine, considering all the unoccupied seats. Currently, even when we take one passenger from Babesa to town, we only charge Nu 50. This discrepancy raises the question of whether a passenger can pay Nu 25 for each of the nine seats,” said Thinley Dorji, coordinator of the Bhutan Taxi Association.

According to the BCTA, each fare revision considers capital expenses, driver salaries, fuel costs, and mileage, among other factors.

If a taxi fare exceeds the approved rate, the driver is liable for a Nu 1,000 penalty, and the affected passenger will receive a fare refund.

The authority urges commuters to report any non-compliance to the nearest BCTA office or traffic office.

Singye Dema

Edited by Sherub Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube