Wangdue DT agrees to provide mask dancers for local festivals

The Wangdue Phodrang Dzongkhag Tshogdu has agreed to resolve the issue of shortage of mask dancers in several gewogs of the district. Reasoning that shortage of mask dancers could lead to a gradual decline in their long-preserved mask dances, the local leaders have requested mask dancers from the district to perform during their local festivals which the house endorsed. According to the local leaders, the number of local mask dancers is decreasing due to rural-urban migration. 

Local leaders expressed their concerns over losing the intangible cultural heritage of mask dances over the years due to declining local mask dancers.

They said getting mask dancers to perform during their local festivals has become challenging.

Kinley Tawchung, Bjena Gup said “population is decreasing in villages and we are losing people who can perform mask dances. I am worried our culture might vanish in the future.”

Similarly, raising their concerns, other local leaders suggested the district provide its mask dancers for the local festivals.

Dorji, Nyisho Gup said “be it mask dancers or dancers, I don’t think it will be a violation for the district to support us. Even District mask dancers can learn within a week even if they need to practise local mask dances.”

Karma Wangdi, Ruebisa Gup said “we are requesting this support to substitute our local dancers, as local mask dancers are declining gradually in the community. We are not requesting to replicate the district’s mask dances in our community.”

Gyem Dorji, Dangchhu Mangmi said “almost all mask dances are the same and I think it will not make much difference. I think district mask dancers can perform easily if they learn from senior local mask dancers.”

However, some local leaders had reservations on district mask dancers performing at local festivals. They fear this might result in local culture losing originality.

Pema Wangda, district cultural officer said “the way mask dances are performed in community will be totally different from how mask dances are performed in the Dzongs. Every village has its unique culture. Therefore, I feel that the ownership of their culture should be given to the respective community only.”

Phub Dorji, Dangchhu Gup said “even the local government act mentions about the preservation of culture. So, I do not support the idea of mask dances in the community festival being performed by the district mask dancers. This is because the government’s objective is not to replicate same cultures everywhere. For instance, Dangchhu Tshechhu should have its unique features for the spectators.”

The Dzongkhag Tshogdu decided to compile and document the entire history of every local festival in the district including mask dances for future reference. The house also decided to provide district mask dancers in communities facing severe shortage of local mask dancers.

Kinzang Thinley, Dzongkhag Tshogdu Chairperson said “it has been decided that we will provide mask dancer from the district. However, every gewog will not require this support. Gewogs needing this support should collaborate with the district cultural office, and carry out research and document the history and dances of their local festivals for future references. This report should be submitted during the next Dzongkhag Tshogdu.”

The house also decided that the respective gewog administration seeking support from the district should bear the expenditures for the mask dancers.

Changa Dorji, Wangdue Phodrang

Edited by Phub Gyem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube