Technical Training Institute-Khuruthang introduces comprehensive CNC Machinist course

To equip Bhutanese youth with Computer Numerical Control (CNC) machining skills, the Technical Training Institute (TTI) at Khuruthang in Punakha has introduced a comprehensive CNC Machinist course. CNC machining is the process of using a computer to control machines that can cut, drill, or shape materials. This is done by giving instructions to the machine to create precise shapes and patterns.

The year-long course started in February this year with nine students.

In the CNC machinist course, trainees learn how to operate sophisticated Computer Numerical Control machines that utilize computer-generated instructions to create precision parts and components.

For example, they learn how to use CNC machines for metal turning, milling and drilling instead of doing it manually.

Pema Dendup, a trainee at Technical Training Institute-Khuruthang said “at first, I did not know what the course was. After coming here, I found out that CNC had to do with programming and that it was advanced mechanics. So, I developed a lot of interest in the course. Also, the world is advancing and I think it is important to keep ourselves updated with new technologies.”

Bhim Bdr Chhetri, an trainee said “in the beginning, it was difficult for us to understand what G-codes are and how they are used. But as we keep learning, it is getting easier for us.”

To ensure that students receive the best learning experience, the Khuruthang TTI hired an expert from abroad to operate CNC machines.

According to the Khuruthang TTI, the course will provide better business and job opportunities in the future.

Johan Lorsson, CNC Machinist Course Instructor at Technical Training Institute-Khuruthang said “if people are willing to invest in this, they won’t have any competitors. They will be the first in Bhutan, besides Bhutan Hydropower Services Limited. However, BHSL is very much focused on very big things compared to producing smaller things here at the institute.”

Lobzang Dorji, Principal at Technical Training Institute-Khuruthang said “looking at the job opportunities, of course, Bhutan is small and we don’t have an industry. However, we hope that corporations like the BHSL will employ our students. And there are also wood-based industries which also have CNC machines.”

The implementation of the course was funded by the Asian Development Bank.

Being the only technical training institute with access to CNC machines apart from Jigme Namgyel Engineering College and Bhutan Hydropower Services Limited, the institute encourages youth to enroll in the course to meet the growing demand for a skilled workforce in the country.

Karma Samten Wangda

Edited by Tshering Zam

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube