Advanced training for filmmakers and actors, part of Economic Stimulus Programme

To upskill and expand the capacity of filmmakers and actors, advanced training in direction and acting is ongoing in Thimphu. Around 34 participants from the film industry are taking part in a three-week upskilling programme. The advanced training is being carried out as part of the government’s Economic Stimulus Programme.

Two film experts from the Netherlands are leading the training.

The experts said that the Bhutanese film industry needs more creative films without duplicating other countries’ ideas.

Beek Groot, a trainer (Film and Theatre Director) said “first of all, I do see a lot of potential in all of them. I see great talents and original voices. What I am trying to do with this workshop is to make directors and actors to embrace their authenticity.”

The workshop includes both theory and practical sessions on storytelling and character-building.

Tshering Phuntsho, executive director of Bhutan Film Institute said “our goal is to enhance their skills and enable them to produce high-quality films.”

Tandin Sonam who is an actor/director said “I feel it is very helpful to all of us. As an actor and a director, it helps us develop our skills because many of the trainers coming from outside are experienced and they know a lot about direction and acting.”

Lhaki Dolma who is also an actor/director said “I have been in the film industry for 25 years. Throughout my entire career, I have not received any formal training, not even for a day. While I have worked as both an actor and a director, I have relied solely on my own experiences rather than any formal training.”

Through such training, the film industry expects to improve the standard of films in the country.

Kuenga Dorji, Senior IPO of the Department of Media, Creative Industry and Intellectual Property said “what we have realised is that we lack technical expertise in crucial areas such as scriptwriting, colour grading, and visual effects, all of which are very important in the field of filmmaking.”

Yeshey Tshering, Officiating President of Film Association of Bhutan said “with this training, we aim to expand the film industry not only within the country but also to reach it to the international.”

The government has several initiatives to support and promote the film industry in the 13th Five-Year Plan.

Besides this training, there are plans to offer training in production, prosthetic makeup, cinematography, and screenwriting in the coming months, all part of the Economic Stimulus Programme for the film industry.

These sessions will be conducted by renowned international trainers.

Sangay Chozom & Dechen Choden

Edited by Tshering Zam 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube