Hazelnut grafting programme boosts yields, growers expecting better yield this year

Hazelnut growers in several districts are anticipating a better harvest this year. The Mountain Hazelnuts Venture has been implementing a climate grafting programme to help hazelnut trees adapt to changing climate conditions and improve yields. This nationwide grafting programme was introduced this year. In this story, we will highlight some success stories where enthusiastic growers have invested time and resources over the years, hoping for a better yield.

53-year-old Nar Bdr Mongar from Bumthang planted hazelnut trees in 2013. He noted that the trees began fruiting after three years, but production has significantly increased over the past four years due to the grafting programme.

“Till now it is going well. So, till the hazelnuts were ready for fruiting, I covered all my expenses from the strawberries, which were cultivated in the hazelnut orchard. Now the hazelnut has already fruited. So, it will be a double source of income for me.”

Similarly, in Trashi Yangtse, 43-year-old Karma Zangmo has invested over a million ngultrum in her two-acre orchard. Despite the significant investment, Karma continues to hope for a better yield each year. Most of her hazelnut trees are grafted.

“There are plenty of fruits and nut trees that we can cultivate. However, no matter how much we produce, if there is no proper market, the harvest decays. However, hazelnuts are different, nuts do not decay and there is no market problem as the company buys from us and that is one of the reasons I had put so much effort and interest in cultivating hazelnuts.”

In Changtagang, Thimphu, hazelnut growers like Dawa are also expecting better harvests each year. Last year, they harvested 100 kilogrammes of hazelnuts, earning Nu 100 a kilogramme.

The field extension officer for Mountain Hazelnuts Venture in Trashi Yangtse, now in his second year in the district, has observed that the trees have started fruiting.

Nima Gyeltshen, field extension officer said “in the past, people lost interest due to lack of production. After I got here, I advocated, and this year’s production is far better than the past years. In the past, the grower did not sell a kilogramme from this orchard. However, this year we are expecting 200-300 kilogrammes.”

They harvested over 900 kilogrammes from two gewogs in Trashi Yangtse last year and are expecting around 2,000 kilogrammes this year.

With field extension officers in all 18 districts, he noted that people are now taking better care of their orchards and new plantations are emerging.

The CEO of Mountain Hazelnuts Venture also noted that the grafting programme has shown good progress this year. The programme will continue for the next three years.

Sean Watson (PhD), CEO of the Mountain Hazelnuts Venture said “some of the orchards are still a little bit immature for the grafting, and we will address those next year. Some growers are holding back from seeing their neighbours, to see how that is going. They should be encouraged by the success, I believe, and will join the programme in the coming year.”

He added that the harvest is improving each year.

“The survival rates have been better than in previous years. We are learning each year and getting better. I think growers still need to focus on post-grafting care to ensure the best growth and the optimum survival. So, there is still work on the growers’ side in the first year.”

The Mountain Hazelnuts Venture is expecting around 30 tonnes of hazelnuts this year from across the country. Currently, they export to Australia but are planning to expand to other nations.

Devika Pradhan

Edited by Tshering Zam

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube