Bhutan’s beach volleyball tournament to raise awareness on global warming

The Bhutan Volleyball Federation is all set to host the first-ever beach volleyball tournament in the country. The Central Asian Volleyball Association, CAVA Beach Volleyball Championship will take place at the Changlimithang parking space in Thimphu from Thursday to Saturday this week. 18 teams from the Maldives, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Nepal and Bhutan will participate in the tournament.

The stage is set and international athletes have started arriving.

The Bhutan Volleyball Federation has filled the Changlimithang parking space with 24 truckloads of sand in more than two weeks’ time into two volleyball courts. The thickness of the main play area is 30 centimetres.

Beach volleyball is played by two teams of two players on a sand court.

The Bhutan women’s team will be playing beach volleyball for the first time.

However, a coach of the Bhutan Volleyball Federation said that the men’s team had participated in several beach volleyball tournaments abroad, which have given them some experience.

Both the Bhutanese teams have been practising on sand court for about two months.

“At first, playing on the sand was challenging. It demands a different level of fitness compared to indoor volleyball. While indoor volleyball has six players per team, in beach volleyball, just two players have to cover the entire court. With two months of training, I think our team has improved a lot and I feel like we might win,” said Rinchen Pelden, a volleyball player.

Sonam Tenzin, another volleyball player said “We are focusing more on fitness, agility, and flexibility. In terms of technique, our players are really good at attacking but we are also not slacking in our defence. Me and my teammates are physically and mentally prepared. Plus, with the home crowd support, I think we can really do it.”

Pema Dorji, Coach of Bhutan Volleyball Federation said “The difference between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball is the number of players. In indoor volleyball, each team has six players, while beach volleyball features two players per team. Additionally, the rules differ slightly, and playing on sand presents a greater physical challenge compared to indoor surfaces.”

The event is being organised to showcase athletic talent and raise awareness about the pressing issue of global warming. Organisers say considering the heat these days, it is a perfect time to organise such an event in Thimphu.

Through the tournament, it is expected to foster international friendship and showcase the growing popularity of volleyball in Bhutan.

Officials said they will also sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to commit to reducing plastic use, with endorsements from participating teams, federation members, and key stakeholders.

During the tournament, plastic bottles will be banned, and the organisers have partnered with local suppliers to offer eco-friendly solutions to provide water.

The Bhutan Football Federation, the Bhutan Olympic Committee, the Olympics Solidarity and the Central Asian Volleyball Association are supporting the Bhutan Volleyball Federation in organising the event.

Tenzin Loday Gyeltshen

Edited by Tshering Zam

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube