Basketball court revamp brings joy to Bajo Town

Basketball enthusiasts in Bajo town, Wangdue Phodrang, now have access to a newly renovated basketball court in the heart of the town. This new facility means that basketball fans will no longer have to search for a place to play their favourite game. The previous court had deteriorated significantly, prompting the district administration to invest Nu 1.9 M in its renovation. The court was officially reopened to the public recently, much to the delight of the local community.

Kinley Wangmo, a teacher at a remote school in Wangdue Phodrang is a huge basketball enthusiast. Without a court in her school, she has to often visit Bajo town to play basketball. But as the public court was closed for renovation, she had to visit schools and other institutional courts to play her much-loved sport.

With the basketball court reopened to the people, things have changed for good for her and all basketball enthusiasts in the locality.

“Earlier, we used to go around in schools to play basketball since we did not have a public basketball court in town. And it was even inconvenient in schools, as they had to give preference to their students. That’s why we used to even go to Khuruthang YDF hall to play sometimes. With no court available in the town up until today, our interest in the sport also waned. It has been quite some time since we last played basketball.”

Other basketball fans are equally excited. Some of them said they had to sit idle at home due to the lack of a public court.

“I used to go to MTC and Bajothang Higher Secondary School with my friends to play basketball. We did not get to play as often as we wanted to in the absence of the court. I had to stay home playing video games,” said Nedup Wangchen Dorjee, a basketball enthusiast.

“I used to always come here to play basketball before the renovation. I am happy now that the basketball court has been redesigned. We have to pay the taxi fare when we go to the MTC basketball court to play. So, this basketball court will benefit as it is within walkable distance,” said Pranit Rai, another basketball enthusiast.

The basketball court has enough space for spectators and is equipped with floodlights.

“All the basketball enthusiasts of all age groups can now come here and enjoy the game. It will also help the people remain fit,” said Nidup Tshering, a civil servant.

According to the Thromde Ngotshab, the basketball court will be handed over to a youth group for operation. A nominal entry fee will be charged for individuals coming to use the court.

Changa Dorji, Wangdue Phodrang

Edited by Kipchu

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube