17 runners to compete in Snowman Race, selection rounds conclude

The Snowman Race, famed as the world’s toughest race, is drawing closer as the second round of the selection process concluded today. This year, over 46 Bhutanese runners competed in two selection rounds. However, only six of them will be chosen to join eleven international runners in the second edition of the race.

The first round of selection took place earlier this month in Laya where six athletes from highland communities competed.

Today, 40 Bhutanese which include 34 male and six female runners, took part in the race.

The route for today’s 36-kilometre selection race started from Motithang and concluded at the National Museum in Paro, via Phajoding, Labana, Jigme Langtsho, Tshokam, Jele Dzong.

The route was selected to emulate the actual Snowman Race route.

However, only six Bhutanese runners will be chosen from the two selection rounds.

“It was fine while we were running on the road but as our journey took us away from the roads, we started stumbling on rocks and slipping on muddy paths. It was difficult. But I enjoyed it a lot,” said Tshering Lhamo who participated in the selection round.

Tashi Norbu, another participant of the selection round said “Because it rained yesterday, the road was muddy which made it difficult to run. I also got lost a few times because I missed the markings on the route.”

The organisers said that the selection rounds are important to identify the best runners.

“Our top priority is the safety of the athletes. That’s why the selection round is important because they have to compete with the best of the best representing our country,” said Sangay Choden, the programme manager of Snowman Race.

Over the next few days, the organisers will select the top six runners based on their finishing time. These runners will then undergo training with coaches and technical experts from the Bhutan Amateur Athletics Federation.

This year, the Snowman Race will also see 11 international runners from countries such as Japan, Bangladesh, Africa and Germany.

The race covers more than 203 kilometres through challenging terrains with mountain passes as high as 5,400 meters above sea level.

“If I get selected and if we get an opportunity to train, I believe we can do it. It all depends on how we practise. If we practise, then, there is no reason for us not to be able to do it,” added Tashi Norbu.

Beyond the competition itself, the Snowman Race serves as a powerful platform for raising awareness about climate change.

The race highlights the melting glaciers of the Himalayas, a stark reminder of the climate change impact that has on the ecosystem.

“The Snowman Race is an initiative conceived by His Majesty The King which aims to generate greater awareness of the climate emergency. Bhutan’s fragile ecosystem makes it highly vulnerable to the adverse impact of climate change. The country is exposed annually to increasing calamities such as landslides, unpredictable weather changes and rapidly changing ecosystems,” said Sangay Choden, the programme manager.

The five-day Snowman Race is set to begin on the 24th of October and conclude on the 28th of October.

Karma Samten Wangda

Edited by Tshering Zam 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube