Residents of Tading-Tenpaling Chiwog, Samtse urge for revival of old farm road

Residents of Tading-Tenpaling Chiwog at Tading Gewog in Samtse are facing challenges in travelling and transporting goods as their farm road has been neglected and left unused for years. Currently, the villagers use a different road, originally constructed for crusher plants, that runs along the banks of a river.

Currently, villagers have no option but to navigate a risky route, initially built for crusher plants along the banks of the Amo Chhu River. This alternative route, taking over an hour to pass through, is often rendered almost impassable particularly during the monsoon due to landslides and swollen rivers.

“The road becomes impassable during the monsoon season due to frequent landslides and sections getting washed away. The swelling river makes it even harder for Bolero pickup trucks. At times, while taking patients to hospital, we have to carry them on our backs because the road remains blocked,” said Dawa Dorji, a resident.

Natraj Ghalley, another resident said “The last time I planned to plant betel nut in my village, I was carrying the saplings with me. However, when I reached the area, I couldn’t go any further because the road was washed away. I had no choice but to carry the saplings in bamboo baskets and cross the river. It was very challenging for us.”

The village was connected by a 2.5-kilometre farm road, between 2014 and 2015, to provide a direct and safe route. However, frequent landslides and the gewog’s limited budget for maintenance led the residents to start using the alternative route. The original road soon fell into disrepair and is now almost entirely covered by forest.

Unhappy with the situation, residents have now turned to the Tading Gewog Administration, urging it to revive the old farm road and if possible, also construct a bridge for safer and more reliable road connectivity.

“The old road was neglected and received little maintenance. Now, we believe the old road should be revived and all necessary work carried out. Additionally, constructing a small motorable bridge would be beneficial,” said Jai Kumar Moktan, a resident.

In response, the Tading Gewog Administration said that since last year, plans have been underway to revive the old farm road through maintenance works. It also mentioned that connecting the road with a bailey bridge is being considered to further improve access for the villagers.

Tading-Tenpaling Chiwog has over 120 households.

Passang Dorji, Samtse

Edited by Kipchu 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube