Two-week camp helps children explore art and nature in Yonphula

Creating art helps children express themselves. In Trashigang, a two-week art and nature camp in Yonphula’s Dopung village is giving children an opportunity to showcase their creativity while learning about nature during their summer break. For the participants, the break is not just about having fun but also a valuable time to be creative and imaginative.

12-year-old Pema Seldon, a class six student of Yonphula Primary School is getting ready for the art summer camp in her village. Like Pema, 19 other students from the locality have been attending the camp for over a week.

This is the second time the art camp is being held, organised by an art and nature enthusiast in the village with financial support from a donor.

The camp aims to help children learn about nature through art while also building confidence and developing life skills such as teamwork, communication and problem-solving.

Besides art and painting, children learn to play musical instruments.

“Four months ago, I learnt basic pencil shading skills and now I have progressed to painting. I used to draw pictures of birds and butterflies but I have improved a lot and can paint now. If this camp hadn’t been available, I would have stayed at home, playing with my phone and with my friends,” said Pema Seldon.

“I learned art skills like pencil shading, colouring and mixing colours. Our instructor also taught us about different bird species while we were drawing. So, we got to learn about various types of birds too,” said Samten Chogyal, a participant.

The organiser plans to teach children about wildlife filmmaking and create a wildlife pictorial booklet next year.

Sonam Darjay, Trashigang

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube