Hundreds gather in Thimphu to celebrate International Yoga Day

To celebrate the 10th International Day of Yoga, nearly 300 yoga practitioners gathered at the Clock Tower Square in Thimphu for a mega yoga session today. The prime minister, along with the ambassadors of India and Bangladesh to Bhutan, Cabinet ministers, opposition leader, and senior government officials, attended the event. The Indian Embassy, in collaboration with the government, hosted the event. Other districts also celebrated the day.

This year’s theme for the International Day of Yoga is ‘Yoga for Self and Society’. The day highlights the benefits of yoga in enhancing well-being at both individual and societal levels.

Prime Minister Tshering Tobgay said the day upholds an important tradition aimed at improving one’s overall health and well-being.

He thanked the Government of India and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi for gifting and promoting yoga throughout the world.

The participants shared their gratitude for holding such an event for free.

“Yoga benefited me a lot. I had menstrual issues for which I had to undergo surgery and several treatments that were of no use. However, after doing yoga, I started to get my period on a regular basis. It also helped me with other health issues such as gastritis,” said Tandin Wangmo, a participant.

“Doing yoga helps me with back pains, which is why I practice it. It also helps with other issues, such as headaches. I have been doing yoga for four years, and I plan to continue,” said Champa Rai, another participant.

Meanwhile, in Tsirang, a freelance yoga master introduced yoga to over 20 individuals this morning.

The participants, primarily villagers, took part in the introductory session aimed at providing equal opportunities for rural people to experience the benefits of yoga.

“This time, I really wanted to introduce yoga to villagers because they do fieldwork and still need some kind of exercises to counterbalance their activities. For example, if they are doing fieldwork, they have to bend forward a lot, so they need exercises to counteract this and tackle back problems, knee problems, or arthritis,” said Tilu Maya Powrel, Yoga Master in Tsirang.

The idea of an International Day of Yoga was first proposed by the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi, in his speech at the United Nations General Assembly in September 2014.

Tashi Dekar/Pema Tshewang

Edited by Sherub Dorji 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube