South Thimphu residents without water for days

For the last five days, residents in South Thimphu have been without water. As per the Thromde, the main water line at Simtokha has been damaged due to a pipe burst. To ease the water shortage, the Thromde has been distributing water to the residents from tankers. But people say it is hardly enough to last a day.  

Fetching water has become an everyday task for people in Olakha, Changbangdu, Babesa and lower Changzamtog for nearly a week now. The Thromde has deployed water tankers to distribute water. But the water is inadequate for people especially restaurateurs and those with large families.

While some have been fetching water from their friends and relatives residing in other parts of the capital, others have resorted to buying water from stores.

“When we have to wash dishes and cook, two buckets of water don’t last long. I spent roughly Nu 300 to buy water from the shop. It costs me another 100 to refill it. And due to lack of water, I cannot wash my children’s school uniforms. We are handicapped without water,” said Hema Ghalley, a resident of Olakha.

“I buy jerry cans of water. I’m not able to keep my house and restaurant tidy. It’s challenging for me because I don’t have many relatives in Thimphu. Even when I call tankers, they do not respond, and some do not even answer,” said Tshewang Dema, a resident of Babesa.

“I used to offer meals to customers on a regular plate. But now I serve them on paper plates because washing dishes without water is tough for me. Although there is a tanker coming around, I have missed it several times as I am busy working. So, I have been using mineral water and going to my relatives’ place to fetch water,” said Ishothe Mongar, a restauranteur in Olakha.

As per Thimphu Thromde’s official Facebook page, the office was supposed to restore the water without delay soon after the residents stopped receiving water on Tuesday.

But after several attempts to restore the main water pipeline, the pipes burst again during the testing on Thursday. As per the Thromde, the location of the pipe burst is by the cliff and risky.

However, the Thromde has fixed the pipes and used concrete to hold the pressure and unstable soil. The office plans to release the water by Monday evening.

Pema Seldon Tshering

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube