ECB seizes VPICs of Gomchens in Samdrup Jongkhar

Twelve people in Wangphu Gewog in Samdrup Jonkhar have been left disappointed after election officials took away their Voter Photo Identity Card (VPIC).  Their VIPCs were seized as their names were not found in in the electoral roll during a verification of the draft electoral roll in the Gewog on August 8.

The election officials say this is because they are gomchens or laity and are ineligible to vote.

Individuals whose VPIC were seized said they are confused as they have voted in the earlier elections and in the National Council elections recently.

They said besides occasionally conducting religious rituals for others, they are farmers and not gomchens.

“They asked me whether I am a gomchen or not and I said I am not. But they inquired with the tshogpa, who told them that I perform religious ceremonies.  They took my VIPC and said my families can vote but I am not eligible to vote,” Samten Chedup from Wanghu said.

“We have been voting since 2008 without any problem. But now I am told I am not eligible to vote. I am confused.”

“In 2008, we were told the religious people who are not under any gomdeys are allowed to vote. I then wrote an application and got my VIPC. But this year, I am confused as my name is not listed in the E-roll,” Sangay Dorji said.

Meanwhile, election officials claimed some Gomchens had voted in the past elections because of individuals not turning up for electoral roll verification process.

They said this time they are carrying out the verification process after obtaining census data from the Ministry of Home and Cultural Affairs.

According to the Election Act of Bhutan 2008, “A truelku, lam, any influential religious personality or ordained members of any religion or religious institutions excluding the laity, as determined or registered as religious organizations or religious personalities under the provisions of the Religious Organizations Act 2007, shall neither join a political party nor participate in the electoral process as they must remain above politics and cannot use their influence for the benefit of any party or candidate”.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube