Judo gains momentum in Gelephu as children embrace martial arts

A group of parents established the first-ever judo club in Gelephu last year, using the former training hall of the district’s taekwondo association. Thanks to the thromde office, the hall was repurposed for the judo club. The number of children learning judo has been on the rise in Gelephu, bringing a mindful martial art to a town that is on course to become a city founded on the principles of mindfulness.

Sonam Dorji, a businessman, is the driving force behind Gelephu’s first judo club. He aims to promote physical fitness and mental well-being while keeping children engaged in positive after-school activities to deter them from unlawful behaviours.

“After school, many children are glued to mobile games or completing homework, with no outlets for physical exercise. I approached the Bhutan Judo Association and secured a coach for us. The judo club has been operational for over a year now. Initially, we lacked proper space, but we successfully appealed to the Thromde Office, which provided us with the hall. Parents contributed to its maintenance, ensuring a suitable environment for our young athletes,” said Sonam Dorji, Gelephu.

“My daughter has been training in judo for nearly a year. Before joining the club, she was quite shy in public. Since starting her training, she’s participated in tournaments and has become much more confident and outgoing,” said Thinley Dorji, a parent.

“The judo sessions have transformed my children. They were once idle and unmotivated at home, but now they are active and physically fit,” said Karma Dema, another parent.

The coach said that the Gelephu Judo Club, which was only started last year, has been able to win 24 medals in various tournaments.

“During the Second Bhutan Jita-kyoei International Judo Tournament, only two members participated in the tournament, but both secured bronze. Likewise, in August this year, six of our youths competed in the first international children’s judo championship, winning two golds, one bronze, and the best player award,” said Pema Darjay, Judo Coach, Gelephu Judo Club.

“I was able to win a bronze medal. The technique I focused on using was ipponseoinage, which helped me gain success. This technique helped me gain an advantage over my opponent and contributed significantly to my success,” said Damcho Dorji Wangmo, a member of the Gelephu Judo Club.

“I joined the Judo club for self-defence, to improve my health, and to seize opportunities to compete internationally,” said Kinley Pelden, another member of the Gelephu Judo Club.

“At the Bhutan Judo Association, there are lots of national judokas that go to different countries to represent our country, So I think we can pursue judo as a career,” said Upelma, also a member of Gelephu Judo Club.

The Gelephu Judo Club has around 60 members and two coaches. Each child pays Nu 500 a month to support the coaches’ salaries. The club is affiliated with the Bhutan Judo Association. Gelephu also has another judo club at the Losel Gyatso Academy. The Bhutan Judo Association provided professional judo mats and judogior judo uniforms to the clubs. The association plans to open more judo clubs nationwide and raise financial support for them.

With basic judo training included in the Gyalsung National Service training, the Bhutan Judo Association trained 16 soldiers deputed as trainers in Gyalsung academies for two weeks last month.

The growing interest in judo, fueled by initiatives such as the Gelephu Judo Club, shows the potential of the country to develop not only skilled athletes but also disciplined and resilient individuals.

Karma Wangdi (Sarpang) and Kipchu

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube