White Cane Safety Day: Celebrating independence and awareness

The white cane is an essential tool that provides a person with blindness independence and helps them navigate the world. To recognise its significance, the Disabled People’s Organisation celebrated the International White Cane Safety Day in Thimphu today, with over 60 persons with visual impairment attending the event. Together, they walked with their white canes in the capital, celebrating their resilience and highlighting the importance of mobility tools for people with blindness.

30-year-old Rinchen Penjor began using a white cane at the age of seven.

For the past 18 years, this essential tool has enabled him to navigate his surroundings and maintain his independence, despite his visual impairment.

“The white cane has helped me tremendously. When I hold it, it feels like I have a friend by my side, giving me confidence as I walk. For example, when I go to school and classes, I can walk independently without relying on anyone.”

However, he acknowledged that he still faces challenges when navigating unfamiliar places.

The white cane has not only empowered persons with visual impairment but has also benefited their loved ones. By promoting greater independence, the cane has made life easier for everyone involved.

“With this cane, it becomes convenient to work at home. We don’t have to tend to them all the time. We can also focus on other works that we have. A person with blindness can also do things on their own and walk independently with the help of the white cane,” said Tshering Dorji, a taxi driver.

According to the organisation, the main objective of celebrating the day is to create awareness and support people with blindness.

“The main objective of celebrating the day is to create awareness about people with blindness. The white cane is a symbol that indicates that someone is blind. That is why we started the event with a walk through the town with the white cane, signifying its importance in promoting independence,” said Dorji Phuntsho, IT and communication officer at Disabled People’s Organisation.

According to the National Health Survey 2023, there are more than 3,300 people with blindness in the country.

The White Cane Awareness Day is observed annually on October 15th, recognising the importance of the white cane in fostering independence and mobility for people with blindness.

Sonam Yuden

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube