Bhutan observes World Cerebral Palsy Day

Bhutan joined the global community in observing World Cerebral Palsy Day. The day is dedicated to raising awareness about cerebral palsy, and celebrating the lives and achievements of those affected by the condition. The event, held annually on October 6, aims to foster understanding and support for individuals with the condition.

Cerebral palsy is a neurological disorder that appears in infancy or early childhood and permanently affects body movement and muscle coordination.

Organisations such as Ability Bhutan Society, Draktsho, Bhutan Stroke Foundation, Phensem- Parents Support Group, Disabled People’s Organization of Bhutan and the Royal Society for Senior Citizens hosted the programme at Changangkha Middle Secondary School to empower individuals with cerebral palsy and their families.

According to these organisations, this year’s theme “Uniquely CP”, emphasises the individuality and uniqueness of every person with the condition and their identity beyond the condition.

For the celebration, people living with the condition were involved in hosting the event as a means to empower them.

Kunzang N Tshering, Executive Director of Ability Bhutan Society said “Officials are not participating in anything. We let them do everything, starting from the welcome remarks to the closing remarks. We are letting persons with cerebral palsy, their parents, family, and caregivers do all that. So, in a way, we can empower them, and make them realise that they have the potential so that they can show and prove something unique. We want to let this uniqueness come out big along with the team.”

The day’s event included a story-sharing session where individuals with cerebral palsy, their families, and caregiver shared their experiences, challenges, and triumphs.

According to the event organisers, cerebral palsy affects not only the individuals but also their families, who often face emotional and physical challenges.

Yeshi Tshering said “If my granddaughter had been with me from the very start, I would have known more about the condition and would have been better prepared. However, since we came to Thimphu, we have received lots of help from the Ability Bhutan Society. My granddaughter could not understand anything we said before, but now, she can.  She can also move her hands now.”

Sigay Dem said “He cannot calculate or tend to customers coming to our shop, but the important thing is for people to recognise his identity despite his condition. Many parents tend to feel embarrassed and hide their children who have issues like this. Instead, I think we should support and help others see them for who they are.”

Karma Choki said “In the past, my daughter could not even move; she could not do anything. The improvements she made, only came after joining Ability Bhutan Society. Whatever the ABS staff teaches us, we try to implement it, such as exercises, and we ensure that she’s practising them For children who suffer from seizures, meningitis, and cerebral palsy, parents need to compose themselves, especially their temper, as children with cerebral palsy behave differently. Sometimes, parents might lose their temper or hit their children, please don’t do that.”

By sharing these personal stories and creating platforms for open dialogue, the event organisers hope to create a better understanding of cerebral palsy and work towards a more supportive environment for those affected.

DekiLhazom/Tenzin Loday Gyeltshen

Edited by Kipchu  

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube