Korean influencer dive into Bhutanese culture on TikTok

As Bhutanese youth dive into K-pop and western trends, an intriguing shift is happening on the other side of social media. Foreigners are developing a growing passion for Bhutanese culture, going as far as learning the national language and dancing to Bhutanese music. One remarkable example is a South Korean woman who not only performs Bhutanese dances but is also dedicated to learning Dzongkha.

Im Jung-eun, a 24-year-old woman from South Korea, began dancing to Bhutanese songs after losing a TikTok game.

What started as a ‘punishment’ for her has now sparked a deep interest in Bhutanese culture.

On TikTok, people call her by a Bhutanese name as Ugyen Meto.

Currently, she is learning basic Dzongkha from her Bhutanese friends.

‘‘With sincere attention and love from the people of Bhutan, I got curious about Bhutanese culture. The first time I listened to the Bhutanese song, I felt calm and relaxed. “Pema Bhutan”, a Bhutanese on TikTok told me many interesting stories about songs from Bhutan. There on, I watched many videos of Bhutanese music. I also practised dancing and singing.’’

She hopes to visit Bhutan soon.

And she is not the only foreigner interested in learning about Bhutanese culture and tradition.

Samantha is studying Bachelor of Primary Education Studies at Paro College of Education as part of the New Colombo Plan scholarship from the Australian Government. Currently, she is volunteering as a temporary teacher in Zhemgang.

‘‘So, I learn Dzongkha by using notes on my phone. So, every time a friend or anyone says something that I think I can use in everyday conversation, I will have them write it in my phone notes with translation. I will study it and start using it every day.’’

With social media becoming increasingly integrated into people’s daily lives through short and engaging videos, it has also become a platform to propagate Bhutanese culture and tradition with foreigners like Jung Eun and Samantha embracing the uniqueness and beauty of what Bhutan’s way of life has to offer.

Sonam Yuden 

Edited by Tshering Zam 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube