Bhutanese athletes prepare for Snowman Race

As the highly anticipated second edition of the Snowman Race approaches, Bhutanese athletes are finalizing their preparations. This year, seven out of the 18 selected participants are from Bhutan. Their training is in full swing as they prepare for what is called one of the world’s toughest races. Notably, this edition will feature a new route starting from Laya, instead of the previous starting point at Gasa Dzong, and will end at Bumthang.

Among the chosen Bhutanese athletes is 41-year-old Sangay Wangchuk of the Royal Bhutan Army, who finished second in the race’s first edition. And for the last three months, every day, he and the six other athletes have been lacing up their shoes to train, running along hiking trails and on tracks.

“For this edition, the route has changed. So, my aspiration for this race will be to set a record for this new route. If I don’t fall sick and everything goes well, I hope to do that.”

The Snowman Race is more than an ultramarathon, it’s a battle against the elements. Participants will face unpredictable weather, tough terrain, and low oxygen levels at above 5,000 meters. These Bhutanese athletes have trained in similar conditions, using the country’s mountainous landscape to their advantage. Along with physical training, Coach Tshetrim Yoezer has been preparing them mentally for the challenge ahead.

“They need to wear warm clothes and take medication if they feel unwell before reaching those passes. I’ve even consulted a doctor about this. Before we depart from Thimphu, the doctor will hold a first aid class to ensure they can treat themselves in case of injuries.”

However, these athletes aren’t just pushing their physical limits, they are also making personal sacrifices. For 32-year-old Karma Yangden, the winner of the first Snowman Race, it has meant leaving her husband and three children behind in her village in Laya while she trains.

“In the first edition, I only trained for a month. This time, I was committed to training longer. It’s harvest season in my village, and while there’s a lot to do, I chose to come here to focus on my training.”

For athletes like Leki, the Snowman Race is more than a sporting event. Being from Laya, the 31-year-old has witnessed climate change firsthand, from reduced snowfall to the appearance of mosquitoes which he says were never seen when he was younger. To him, it’s an opportunity to showcase Bhutan’s deep connection to nature and raise awareness about climate change.

“Climate change is an issue not just in Bhutan but the world across. And through this race, people can be made aware about this global issue. This will also help educate people on what we should do to fight climate change.”

As the Snowman Race draws near, the seven athletes, Pema Choki, Karma Yangden, and Leki from Laya, along with Tshering Lhamo, Samten Dema, Tashi Norbu, and Sangay Wangchuk from the Royal Bhutan Army, continue their relentless preparation for the grueling race that awaits them.

The Snowman Race is set to take place from October 24 and go on till October 28.

Karma Samten Wangda

Edited by Yeshi Gyaltshen 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube