Department of Tourism presents ‘The Believers’ award to two individuals in recognition of their dedication to tourism industry

Coinciding with World Tourism Day, the Department of Tourism presented the ‘The Believers’ award to two individuals in recognition of their dedication to the tourism industry. According to the Department, the award signifies unwavering dedication and contribution in promoting and preserving the country’s tourism industry and landscape over many years.

One of the award recipients is Gembo, a tour guide and an environmental advocate who has dedicated the last 26 years of his life into organizing cleaning campaigns in tourist hotspots and continues to do so.

Recently, he dedicated every Saturday to collect waste and create awareness about waste management, traveling across 22 Dzongs and 19 crematorium in 20 districts for 94 days.

“I am very honored to receive this award of recognition. I have dedicated myself to collecting waste since 1998, and I am more inspired to continue this service. I will also advocate and encourage my fellow tour guides to do similar things.”

The other recipient is Phuntsho Gyeltshen, the Chief Tourism Officer of the Standards and Compliance Division under the Department of Tourism.

With 19 years of service, he is recognized for his commitment to the department and tourism industry by constantly guiding and mentoring young colleagues to excel with passion and dedication.

According to the director, his passion not only strengthens the country’s tourism sector but also fosters a culture of support, excellence, collaboration, and growth within the department.

Damcho Rinzin, Director of the Department of Tourism said “This award is given in recognition of their contribution as individuals to the tourism industry and Bhutan. This is given to further inspire them and to further motivate them to contribute and do more of what they are already doing.”

The department plans to present ‘The Believers’ award every month to encourage continued commitment within the tourism industry.

Namgay Dema

Edited by Phub Gyem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube