Thimphu’s Changyul Park attracts over 6,000 visitors on weekends

The recently opened Changyul Park has become a favourite spot for the Thimphu residents. People of all ages visit the park to enjoy the inviting atmosphere. The park also sees visitors from neighbouring districts during weekends and special occasions. The park receives over 6,000 people during weekends and special occasions while around a thousand on weekdays. The park was opened to the public on the 23rd of last month.

A month after its opening, Chang Yul Park is bustling with visitors of all ages. Visitors shared that they come to spend time with their loved ones and enjoy the park’s new facilities.

“I work as a teacher in Punakha. I saw videos of Changyul park in social media and I wanted to come here. After reaching here, I found it even more beautiful than I expected. Moreover, the facilities are well equipped and the services are good too,” said Sangay Phuntsho, a visitor from Punakha.

“I felt so refreshed when I entered the park from the gate. It has an amazing playground for children and the restaurants look great inside and out,” said Migmar Dorji, a visitor from Wangdue Phodrang.

However, large crowds have raised traffic and safety concerns.

To address these issues, a stakeholder meeting was held with representatives from the Bhutan Construction and Transport Authority, Thimphu Thromde and the Traffic Police recently.

As a result, works are underway to improve traffic flow and enhance safety in the park.

The original straight parking has been converted to angle parking for convenience and the speed limit near the park has been reduced from 50 kilometre per hour to 20.

Additionally, the parallel parking along the roadway has been changed to pick and drop area with road dividers installed to reduce congestion and ensure smooth vehicle flow.

Officials also plan to install ‘no crossing’ signs on electric poles to alert visitors and will relocate the bus stop to a more convenient location.

The seven-acre Chang Yul Park was built at a cost of over Nu 150 M.

Phub Dorji

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube