Bhutan ready for SAFF U-17 Championship, Bangladesh to face India first

Bhutan’s under-17 football team is ready to compete in the SAFF Under-17 Championship, which kicks off tomorrow at Changlimithang Stadium in Thimphu. In the opening fixture, Bangladesh will face defending champions India. During today’s pre-match press conference, the head coaches and captains discussed their preparations and expectations for the tournament.

Bhutan will host the SAFF Under-17 Championship for the first time. Seven countries are participating: Bhutan, India, Bangladesh, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.

During the press conference, all teams expressed their intentions to deliver strong performances and aim for the championship title.

Bhutan has been placed in Group B, alongside Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Pakistan. Group A consists of India, the Maldives, and Bangladesh.

The Bhutanese team will play Sri Lanka on Saturday at 6 PM.

“Last year we had players from different clubs. So, we could not focus more on team tactics. Because some players have to go to school and they miss lots of training sessions. So, this year we have selected all players from BFF Academy,” said Yeshi Wangchuk, head coach, Bhutan U-17.

“I hope this trophy will remain in our home country and I hope we will win. We have prepared mentally, physically, psychologically and technically we are all prepared. Our Dragon Boys will give 100 per cent,” said Ngawang Yonten, captain, Bhutan U-17.

Captains and head coaches of the other participating teams also shared similar aspirations for the tournament.

“We will try to show ourselves as a strong contender, that is our main goal. We want to go step by step. Our focus is on the first match and how to compete with India. Because I think India is last year’s champion,” said Saiful Bari Titu, head coach, Bangladesh U-17.

“Bangladesh is one of the toughest opponents in SAFF. Overall they have done quite well in all the age groups in SAFF. I think it is going to be a tough and strong match. I am happy to face them. We want our players to be tested,” said Ishfaq Ahmed, head coach, India U-17.

“We have been working very hard and I am confident that the abilities of my players to show their strength in this tournament. I feel that our players are ready now to play and we will try to show their abilities on the field. I hope that everyone will be proud of our performance,” said Mohamed Adam, head coach, Maldives U-17.

“We do not take any opponent easily. We have prepared well and we are focusing on the SAFF championship and we are ready to face every team,” said Subash Bam, captain, Nepal U-17.

“We have a training camp in Pakistan for two weeks. And our players have been playing in the league in Pakistan. Most of the players have been engaged for the last two or three months. The team is in good shape and they will perform well in this event,” said Sajjad Mahmood, head coach, Pakistan U1-7.

“We came here to win. We have a good team. We have many practice sessions together. The team is combining very well. We are hoping to win and I feel that we are in the position to win the cup,” said Hafeef Akram, captain, Sri Lanka U-17.

In its second and third group matches, Bhutan will face Pakistan on Monday and Nepal on Wednesday.

All seven participating countries have fielded 23-player squads for the 9th  edition of the SAFF Under-17 Championship.

Karma Wangdi

Edited by Sherub Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube