Remembering Lyonpo Yeshey Zimba, his legacy and contributions

Lyonpo Yeshey Zimba, one of the longest-serving Members of Parliament passed away at 74 on Monday. The late Lyonpo served under the leadership of the fourth Druk Gyalpo and His Majesty the King. Lyonpo served under several ministries before venturing into politics. In memory of the late Lyonpo, let us look at his life and his countless services to the nation.

Late Lyonpo Yeshey Zimba, who served twice as prime minister before democracy was introduced, was born on the 10th of October 1950.

He went to Saint Joseph’s School, North Point in Darjeeling, India and bagged double degrees. Later, he pursued his Masters degree in economics from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the United States.

After the completion of his studies, late Lyonpo briefly served directly under in reign the fourth Druk Gyalpo before becoming the managing director of the Royal Monetary Authority.

Later, Lyonpo went on to work in the finance ministry. He joined the ministry as a joint secretary in 1991 and later in the same year, he was also conferred the red scarf.

Three years in the ministry and he was promoted as the finance secretary. In 1998, he was conferred the orange scarf and appointed as the finance minister.

Lyonpo also served as the prime minister for two terms from 2000 to 2001 and from 2004 to 2005.

When democracy was introduced, Lyonpo served as the Minister of Works and Human Settlement and as an MP from the South Thimphu Constituency till 2018.

Colleagues who served with the late Lyonpo shared messages with BBS to honour him.

Lyonpo Khandu Wangchuk said that the passing away of Lyonpo Yeshey Zimba has left a deep void in the many lives he touched including his.

He added that he had known the late Lyonpo since their school days in Kalimpong.

Lyonpo Khandu Wangchuck said,

“As an official in the service of his Kings, country and people, Lyonpo served with utmost loyalty and integrity. I regard Lyonpo as our first economist who made substantive contributions to many of our socio-economic policies. Lyonpo had an intellect of the first order and an illustrious career as demonstrated by the high responsibilities entrusted to him and the many honours and awards bestowed on him.”

He added that apart from his life as a true statesman, late Lyonpo was an exemplary family man, a good friend to all and a devout Buddhist.

Similarly, the Druk Phuensum Tshogpa, whom the late Lyonpo was a part of for more than two decades, also recollected his contributions and services to the nation.

“I think his legacies are numerous. I do not know if I can summarise, but the most important legacies of Lyonpo, especially towards the later part of his career as a Minister of Works and Human Settlements, I think executing the first government’s vision of roads, motor roads for all, I think that is one of the biggest contributions he has made,” said Dorji Wangdi, president of Druk Phuensum Tshogpa.

He added that before the introduction of democracy late Lyonpo had done tremendous planning in terms of hydropower development in the country.

Late Lyonpo Yeshey Zimba, a distinguished statesman whose legacy has profoundly shaped lives and whose absence creates an irreplaceable void in the hearts of all who knew him.

Devika Pradhan

Edited by Sherub Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube