World-renowned Japanese pianist delivers left-handed recital in Thimphu

In a world where every note tells a story, some melodies are born from resilience. A world-renowned Japanese pianist, known for his extraordinary ability to perform with only his left hand, captivated an audience of over 300 students at Changangkha Middle Secondary School in the capital today. The 88-year-old’s recital piano performance, showcasing resilience and musical brilliance was graced by Her Royal Highness Princess Dechen Yangzom Wangchuck.

As Izumi Tateno struck the first note on the piano, the beautiful melody of the Ainola Lyrical Ballads filled the auditorium, enveloping the space in a soothing harmony.

This is the first time Izumi Tateno performed for an audience with disabilities, hoping to inspire those who have faced similar challenges to his own.

He said that performing in Bhutan had always been on his bucket list and was thrilled to see that dream finally come true.

‘‘I have been playing piano for 80 years of my life worldwide. As always I do not mind where and for who I am playing. However, I am aware that in Bhutan, classical music piano is very rare. Hence, I am looking forward to it. It will be a great experience for me.’’

Studying piano at the age of five, Izumi Tateno who is now 88 years old has performed over 3,500 concerts worldwide.

In 2002, his career as a pianist came to a halt suddenly when the right half of his body was paralysed following a stroke. He was never able to play with his right hand again. Undeterred, he developed an entirely new repertoire for the left hand alone, which has since become substantial.

Throughout his musical career, Tateno achieved many notable recognitions.

During his performance at the Changangkha Middle Secondary School, the audience was completely captivated, with some sharing how inspired they felt watching him play using only his left hand.

‘‘We are really happy to see the performance. Despite facing challenges with paralysis, he performed around eight music with only his left hand. As I am also a parent of a child with a disability, I feel we can confide and have hope that our children can do it too,’’ said Dechen Pem, a parent.

‘‘It was a very emotional performance for me to watch on the stage. In the future, I feel I can do it too,’’ said Selzen, a student, Changangkha Middle Secondary School.

Izumi Tateno’s next piano recital will be held in India and Nepal.

Sonam Yuden

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube