Dragon Strikers crowned Bhutan T20 Smash champions

Team Dragon Strikers defeated IMTRAT Dantak Dragons by nine wickets to win this year’s Bhutan T20 Smash final at Jigmethang in the capital on 8th September. The two teams reached the final as group toppers after both semifinals were abandoned due to rain. A total of eight teams participated in this year’s T20 tournament.

IMTRAT Dantak Dragons won the toss and chose to bat first, which initially seemed to be a good decision. They got off to a flying start, scoring 40 runs without losing a wicket in the powerplay overs.

However, Dragon Strikers quickly slowed their momentum, taking two wickets in the following three overs.

IMTRAT Dantak Dragons struggled to capitalise on their strong start as they continued to lose consecutive wickets. By the 13th over, IMTRAT Dantak Dragons were reduced to 73 for five, with Dragon Strikers’ Katan Kalita taking four crucial wickets.

Dragon Strikers maintained pressure on the IMTRAT Dantak Dragons’ batters, restricting them to striking at a run a ball. Despite Neelesh Patel’s spirited knock of 38 runs, IMTRAT Dantak Dragons could only manage to score 125 runs in their allotted 20 overs.

In response, Dragon Strikers swiftly chased down the low target. Led by teenager Tenzin Rabgay’s half-century and supported by a steady knock from Rangjung Mikyo Dorji, Dragon Strikers reached the target with seven overs to spare.

“I think our team keeps it very simple. We stick to our basics that is the reason why we won today. Right from the group stages, all the boys have been contributing. It is not about individual performance; it is our team performance. And having said that, I think today’s game, our fielding, bowling, and batting were good,” said Rangjung Mikyo Dorji, a player at Dragon Strikers.

“I do not think I would have changed anything. They have played wonderfully. We tried all the options which we had, the bowling options. The batting line collapsed. We lost around two, or three wickets in a matter of one run. So, that was a major setback for my team. Otherwise, the opening partnership was very good. They were around like, since six overs, they made 34 runs without loss of a single wicket,” said Neelesh Patel, captain of IMTRAT Dantak Dragons.

“Bhutan cricket always organises annually on the basis that it is very critical for the Bhutan cricket to develop and even for selection purposes, it is very critical. And not only that, but I also think it gives a platform for our younger players who have no opportunity to play on any other platform. So, I think it serves as a very good platform for the younger players. And second, it serves a very good purpose for Bhutan Cricket to select the next national players from this platform,” said Jigme Singye, captain of Dragon Strikers.

The winning team took home a cash prize of Nu 300,000 while the runners-up received Nu 120,000.

Prizes and trophies were also awarded to the player of the tournament, emerging player of the tournament, best wicketkeeper, highest wicket-taker, and highest run-scorer.

Tenzin Loday Gyeltshen & Sangay Chozom

Edited by Sherub Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube