TTI-Samthang adopts simulators for safer and cost-effective learning

Unlike in the past, the Technical Training Institute in Samthang in Wangdue Phodrang is providing a better teaching and learning experience for heavy vehicle driving and earth mover operation courses. Earlier, trainees directly operated heavy vehicles and machinery during practical sessions, however, starting this year, they have access to a simulator where they can practise before handling actual machinery. This new addition has significantly reduced costs while offering trainees a safe environment to hone their skills.

Among the 44 trainees who joined about a month ago in the first batch to use the simulators as part of the course is 23-year-old Kinley Wangchuk.

Kinley has long aspired to become a heavy vehicle driver despite having no prior driving experience.

“Since the age of 18, I have always wanted to drive heavy vehicles. And when I came across the course, which was free, I could not let it pass. I signed up for the course and I am very passionate about it.”

According to the institute, the introduction of the simulator has significantly reduced training costs. The simulator is a device that enables trainees to experience and practise like in real world situation.

Previously, they spent around Nu 10,000 weekly on fuel for heavy vehicles and Nu 40,000 for earthmovers to train the learners.

Besides offering a cost-effective training solution, it has enhanced the teaching and learning experience.

Prakash Sarki, assistant lecturer at Technical Training Institute-Samthang said “It has lots of advantages for us (the institute), as well as them (the trainees). The first is cost saving. It saves a lot of fuel for us and the wear and tear the machines face. It also saves time. The other one is that the students get a lot of confidence when they move on to operating the real machine. So, the simulator really enhances our teaching-learning experience in the field.”

Ram Kumar Gurung, an instructor at Technical Training Institute-Samthang said “Without the simulator, there are a lot of risks because many of the trainees are first-time drivers. So, they are scared and not very confident to drive actual vehicles. And when that happens, there are risks of accidents. But with the simulator, the risks can be mitigated.”

The trainees also said they had the opportunity to make mistakes in a controlled environment without having to risk damaging expensive equipment.

Kinley Wangchuk added “After coming here and being mentored, I want to learn about vehicles and one day, I want to become a good driver. I just want to serve the country as a driver. I love the environment here and I am determined to learn all I can.”

Jamyang Tenzin, a trainee at Technical Training Institute-Samthang said “I think the course is perfect for those who have never operated heavy machines before. Because for new drivers, the chances of accidents and parts breaking are high, and that in turn adds to the government’s spending.”

Rinchen Dorji, another trainee at Technical Training Institute-Samthang said “Earlier it was a little scary to directly get in the machine and operate it. The simulators help keep the costs of wear and tear on the machine low.”

Currently, the three-month course has 26 trainees in heavy vehicle driving, 10 in backhoe operation, and eight in excavator operation.

They will be completing the course this November. The simulator was funded by the Asian Development Bank.

Karma Samten Wangda, Wangdue Phodrang

Edited by Tshering Zam

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube