Bhutanese beauticians and trending K-beauty standards

Korean skincare, hair, and makeup trends are sweeping the world by storm. Like elsewhere in the world, the quest for Korean inspired flawless and glass skin concept is creating a booming market for the beauty industry in the country. Bhutan is seeing an increase in the number of stores selling Korean beauty products and salons providing Korean standard beauty services helping youth running these businesses find a steady source of income.

Rinzin Galley is a trained beautician who runs a salon at Olakha in Thimphu. In a day, Rinzin sees about 10-15 clients seeking beauty treatment including skincare, hair care, and nail art among others.

Rinzin says there is no dearth of customers if individuals have the required skills.

“And these days like in entertainment industries and all, they are in need of makeup artists, hair stylists. So, you do get a lot of recognition if you have this kind of skills.”

Rinzin’s business experienced a boom after he returned home on completing a beauty course in South Korea. He studied K-Beauty, a course on beauty tech trends, makeup, nail art and hair in Seoul for nine months through the Seoul City Scholarship in K-Beauty programme.

He does not have to depend on walk-in customers. His business is now well established and he receives clients on appointment basis.

“When I came back I started being active on social media and people came to know about my salon, they knew about like I did my training in Korea and they knew about my skills so it has helped me with gaining confidence and more faith in me and my clients.”

The scholarship programme which started in 2023 helped Bhutanese beauticians aged 18 to 30 gain skills to start their own businesses and attract more customers. The programme is a collaboration between Seoul Metropolitan Government and Bhutan’s Department of Workforce Planning and Skills Development. On completing the course, some of them returned home to be trainers.

Sandhya Biswa Karma, cosmetologist and trainer in Paro said “today I am working as a cosmetologist, where I give services to people and I am also working as a makeup trainer but before Korea’s training I had already done a course in India from Lakme. I think Korea’s degree (training) has helped me a lot to be here in this institute.”

Thinley Pem, a beautician in Gelephu said “I got lots of knowledge about K-Beauty. So, I learned a lot overall in detail about makeup, and not only that, I got lots of exposure, like I came to know about Korea, about the people, about the places, and so many things. I think I got a big opportunity to get exposure.”

The donor-funded scholarship programme which covers all expenses including travel and accommodation except individual visa fee has trained six Bhutanese so far.

On completing training, the Department of Workforce Planning and Skills Development also helps them in finding employment opportunities by referring to industries and relevant agencies.

The certification course makes them eligible to open their own beauty-shops in South Korea.

The training in Seoul was helpful but challenging as well. The beauticians say besides the language barrier they struggled to meet additional financial expenses during their stay in South Korea.

Meanwhile, back in his salon, Rinzin much like his fellow beauticians remains optimistic of a promising future as consumer trends continue to evolve rapidly.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­Sonam Dendup

Edited by Phub Gyem 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube