From illness to agriculture, retired civil servant thrives with dragon fruit farm

Imagine being a retired civil servant, grappling with diabetes and other age-related illnesses. While many might turn to hospitals and medication, 70-year-old Khara Nanda Sharma from Singaygang village in Tashichhoeling Gewog took a different path. He chose to cultivate dragon fruits on his land in Samtse. What began as a personal mission to improve his health has now blossomed into a thriving agricultural enterprise. Today, with his diabetes under control, he proudly tends to hundreds of dragon fruit plants, all on his own.

Several years ago, Khara Nanda Sharma, who had long struggled with diabetes and other age-related ailments, was introduced to the idea that dragon fruit, with its many health benefits, could help him manage his condition.

“The moment I first saw the dragon fruit in Lingmethang, Monggar, I looked it up online and discovered its potential to help with illnesses like diabetes, cancer, piles, and more. That’s when I decided to start cultivating it on my land.”

Determined to take control of his health, Sharma planted a few dragon fruit cacti on his 70-decimal plot of land in Samtse. He said the results were remarkable.

With his piles and asthma cured and his diabetes under control, Sharma is now a regular sight in his fields, diligently nurturing his dragon fruit plants.

Unlike other fruits, dragon fruit boasts a long harvest period from August to October, and each plant, on average, produces about 20 kilogrammes of fruit.

“The fruit starts to ripen from May to June and continues to be harvested over an extended period. I typically harvest 2 to 3 times from a single tree each month.”

This year, Sharma has begun exploring new markets for his harvest. He is reaching out to urban areas, considering partnerships with local businesses, and engaging with relevant offices to secure a steady market for his produce.

“In two to three years from now, I anticipate that my harvest will reach several tonnes. I am currently in discussions with officials from the agriculture ministry and have yet to finalise an agreement with the Food Corporation of Bhutan for the sale of my fruits.”

In addition to dragon fruits, Sharma has diversified his farm by placing beehives among the plants for better pollination and planting lentils in empty spaces. Currently, he grows two types of dragon fruit, white and red, selling them at 250 and 400 ngultrum per kilogramme, respectively.

In Khara Nanda Sharma’s care, dragon fruit has become more than just a plant. His thriving farm is a testament to how the hardest struggles often yield the sweetest rewards.

Passang Dorji, Samtse

Edited by Kipchu

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube