Residents call for urgent blacktopping of Bajo-Khuruthang highway

In Wangdue Phodrang, about a one-kilometre stretch along the Bajo-Khuruthang highway remains without blacktopping, despite the road-widening work being completed in 2022. The road has since developed potholes and become dusty, prompting residents to call for immediate attention to the area.

The one-kilometre stretch left without blacktopping falls under Thedtsho Gewog’s Thangu Chiwog.

BBS learned that as per an agreement between the government and the Punatsangchhu-I Hydroelectric Project Authority, the project is responsible for maintaining the road since it could be damaged when the PHPA-I dam reservoir is filled.

However, with dam construction at PHPA-I yet to begin, the road has become an inconvenience for commuters.

“When it rains, our cars hit the potholes. Sometimes puncturing the mobile tank. The problem is critical. We would be glad if the land could be raised by about two metres and laid with GSB,” said Rinzin, a resident of Thangu.

“Tyres of our small vehicles hit the potholes and caused damage. We must keep visiting automobile workshops almost every week,” said Kinley, a taxi driver at Bajo Town.

“This road, if we say it is maintained, it is not. We do not know anything about it. They maintained at the beginning and the end but left out the most important stretch,” said Tashi Phuntsho, a resident of Thangu.

The gewog administration raised the issue several times in the Dzongkhag Tshogdu, but they have not secured any concrete resolution for developing the stretch of road.

“Even the Dzongkhag Tshogdu has no authority to act on this matter, as all the power lies with the Punatsangchhu-I Hydroelectric Project Authority. When we request action from PHPA-I, they respond that they will assess the water level in the area after completing their dam construction. They say they will build water mitigation walls based on the river’s rising level and carry out the road work accordingly. They just keep sticking to this point, but it is our people who are losing out,” said Chador, Thedtsho Gup.

According to a project official, the Punatsangchhu-I Hydroelectric Project Authority has no plans to improve the road.

For now, the stretch is expected to remain in the same condition until the agreement is repealed or the dam construction is completed.

Changa Dorji, Wangdue Phodrang

Edited by Sherub Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube