Six Bhutanese to pursue master’s in UK with Chevening scholarships

Six Bhutanese received the Chevening Scholarships to pursue master’s studies in the United Kingdom, marking the highest number of recipients to date. The Bhutan Chevening Alumni Network hosted a pre-departure orientation programme for the recipients in the capital yesterday. The UK government funds the scholarships through its Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office.

At the orientation programme, the scholarship recipients were given tips and guidance on travelling to the UK, understanding the academic system, managing expenses, navigating cultural differences, accessing health services, and learning basic legal and safety information.

“Chevening tries to select scholars that show a promise in terms of rising as leaders within their respective field but also coming back to the country and contributing in some meaningful ways,” said Ngawang Rigsar Wangchuk, president of Bhutan Chevening Alumni Network.

The recipients will undertake various master’s degree courses, including global sustainable development, quantity surveying, and molecular medicine, among others.

“We are the very first batch to receive the pre-departure orientation from the BCAN network, and this will greatly assist us from the moment we leave our country until the end of our courses,” said Lungten Tshering, a Chevening scholarship recipient.

“I am working in the Department of Surface Transport and will pursue my master’s in M.Sc. Transport Infrastructure Design and Construction. As we are a developing country, I feel that studying transport infrastructure in the UK will help me contribute to developing infrastructure in Bhutan, as quality infrastructure is very important,” said Samten Zangmo, a recipient of the Chevening scholarship.

After completing their studies, scholarship recipients must return to their country and cannot re-enter the UK for two years.

Since the scholarship began in 2003, 43 Bhutanese have studied in the UK for their master’s programmes.

The Chevening Scholarships offers a one-year master’s degree in the UK each year through an open selection process. The scholarship programme is open for online applications until the 5th of November this year for the next batch.

Sonam Dendup

Edited by Sherub Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube