Preliminary Exam sees highest ever registrations, prompting increased demand for coaching classes

With the Preliminary Exam, PE of the Bhutan Civil Service Examination scheduled for next month, close to 4,800 graduates have registered for it. This, according to the Royal Civil Service Commission, is the highest number of candidates registered for the exam. With the rise in registrations, the demand for coaching classes has also increased.

The number of registrations has increased by 18 per cent, which is around 850 candidates compared to last year. More than 4,000 graduates registered last year, and only 3,370 appeared in the exam.

Meanwhile, coaching classes are seeing a growing number of graduates enrolling in them.

Rigzin Research and Consultancy is one of the coaching service providers and close to 900 students have registered with them, an increase of more than 100 graduates compared to the previous year.

The research and consultancy’s manager Kinley Wangdi said the increase might be because of fewer Bhutanese youth applying for Australian visas after the implementation of stringent visa regulations.

He said this might have encouraged graduates to pursue careers in the civil service.

“In my perspective, most of the students’ interest lie in studying abroad. Slight changes in the rules and regulations in Australia may also be one of the reasons.  It may also be an indication that things are getting better in our country.”

Similarly, another coaching service provider, Yangma Consultancy has enrolled over 500 students.

The consultancy also said the increase might be due to the stricter overseas application procedures.

Likewise, free coaching classes happening at the Natural Resources Development Corporation campus have attracted around 300 graduates.

Talking to the graduates, they said that due to the attrition rate in the civil service, they are having more opportunities.

Chimi Wangmo, a graduate said, “It is better to receive the opportunities given here within our country rather than forcing ourselves to go abroad, which is too difficult.”

Jampel Tshering Wangchuk, another graduate said “Based on an individual’s interest, to earn and gain experience, they have left for abroad to study and work. It created job opportunities in both private and government sectors. Therefore, I thought it was a good opportunity for me to serve my nation.”

The PE will be conducted in Thimphu and Monggar on 3rd August.

There are more than 1,300 vacancies in the civil service this year which is an increase of 180 slots compared to last year.

Pema Tshomo

Edited by Tshering Zam 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube