Engaging youths through zero waste craft training programme

Recycling is the best option for disposing of plastics. It gives them a chance for a new life rather than ending up in a landfill and posing an environmental issue. To promote recycling and engage youths during summer vacation, a ten-day zero waste craft training programme was held in Thimphu. Youths from various districts learnt to create different items using plastics.

With newfound skills, these participants can now transform plastic waste into beautifully crafted bags, pencil cases, rachu and floor mats among others.

Over 40 youths participated in the training, embracing the opportunity to equip themselves with waste recycling skills and raise awareness about waste management practices.

“Since I didn’t have anything productive to do during the summer vacation, I joined this programme to learn how to recycle plastic waste,” said Tandin Choden Bida, a participant.

“Before, we didn’t care about waste. However, after joining this programme, I have gained knowledge on how to recycle plastic,” said Tashi Dolkar, another participant.

“My favorite recycled product is a lunch bag, if I had to purchase it, it would cost extra. So, I collect the waste and carry the recycled lunch bag,” said Tandin Gyeltshen, also a participant.

“Since even scrap dealers do not accept plastic waste, I believe trainings like these help prevent plastic waste from ending up in landfills,” said Chogyal Lhamo, the founder of Women Waste Recycler of Bhutan.

The programme was organised by the Department of Environment and Climate Change and Women Waste Recycler of Bhutan, a non-profit organisation with funding support from Greener Way and the Bhutan Ecological Society.

Dechen Choden 

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube