Couple gear up with furniture business for Gelephu Mindfulness City

The Gelephu Mindfulness City, envisioned by His Majesty The King and anchored in the values of Gross National Happiness, will be a valuable gift to the Bhutanese people. People are motivated and confident in the GMC which promises economic prosperity and security for the country’s future. As such, many have already started preparing for it in their way. In Zhemgang, a couple has ventured into a furniture business and hopes to have it ready for the GMC.

Pema Dorji not only owns the business but is also one of the workers at the furniture house located at Tingtibi. Pema is a vocational training graduate and acquired his carpentry skills while at the institute. But to gain more skill and expertise, he has hired an experienced carpenter from India.

Pema’s wife, Sangay who could not complete high school, has also been learning carpentry. She hopes to be able to contribute equally to their venture at the Gelephu Mindfulness City.

Like any other couple, the two 27-year-olds say they also thought about going to Australia. But once His Majesty The King announced the Gelephu Mindfulness City, they changed their plans.

“When the Gelephu Mindfulness City opens, we are hoping we will get the opportunity to work there as well. We are preparing as best as we can right now, we supply all kinds of furniture,” said Pema.

“When I heard that the Gelephu Mindfulness City was coming, I was very excited. It will bring along a lot of opportunities for the youth in the country. I will be able to expand my business as there will be more market to sell furniture. So, I am eagerly looking forward to this opportunity,” said Sangay Dema.

It has been almost three years since the couple opened the furniture house. For now, they are sending most of their products to Thimphu as the market isn’t that big in Zhemgang.

The couple has also hired two youths who are learning as they work.

“This particular furniture house located in the heart of our village has helped us to develop skills, especially for young people like us,” said  Ugyen Dorji Tamang, an employee.

While only the future will tell whether Pema and the team succeed, one thing is for certain; their story reflects the optimism and resilience of the Bhutanese people, inspired by the Gelephu Mindfulness City.

Pema Samdrup, Zhemgang   

Edited by Yeshi Gyaltshen

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube