IT graduate becomes carpenter

Many Bhutanese dream of landing a decent-paying desk job after completing their studies. Only a handful of people take up blue-collar jobs upon completing tertiary education. Among the handful is a 30-year-old IT graduate in Zhemgang, who found his passion in the hands-on art of carpentry. He turned his determination toward mastering carpentry skills, carving out a secured future for himself in his village.

Kezang Wangchuk returned to his village, Tali in Nangkor Gewog three years ago after he struggled to get a decent job in the IT sector.

Today, he says he is happy with his decision to become a carpenter.

These days, he is working at a construction site earning Nu 1,000 a day.

In the last few years, he carried out carpentry work for the construction of four residences on contract. He has also been carrying out maintenance of homes.

“I have an interest in carpentry works. So, I thought it was better to work as carpenter. Even if I go to Australia, the work is the same. It is just the amount of money we earn. There are not many working here in the country. So, instead of going there, there are opportunities here.

He learned the carpentry skills from his father, who is also a carpenter.

“He has been working with me for about two to three years at the construction sites. In woodwork, he is better than me. After working for years with me, he can work at the construction site,” said Tenzin Wangchuk, Kezang’s father.

For the villagers in Tali, Kezang Wangchuk’s return has helped them as they no longer to have hire carpenters from India.

“Other youth like him choose not to stay in the village after completing their studies. His father is a carpenter and he learned skills from him. In addition, he received training from India. After that, he stayed in the village and that has helped us in constructing houses and in making furniture,” said Tshering Dendup, a resident.

Kezang Wangchuk’s aspirations do not end with working as a wage earner. He plans to make the most of his skills and set up a furniture business in his village.

Pema Samdrup, Zhemgang

Edited by Tshering Zam 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube