Jigme Pelden Dorji arrives in country after his expedition to Mount Everest

Bhutan welcomed home its conquering hero, Jigme Pelden Dorji today, who not only etched his name in history as a man to have summited Mount Everest but also proudly carried the Bhutanese flag to the pinnacle of the world. Jigme was received by his family, bureaucrats and government representatives among others at the Paro International Airport this afternoon.

Jigme’s arrival at Paro International Airport was met with jubilant cheers, fluttering national flags, and traditional Bhutanese ceremonial greetings.

After embarking on a challenging ascend of Mount Everest, Jigme Pelden Dorji reached the pinnacle of the world’s tallest peak on the morning of 20th May. With unwavering determination, sheer perseverance and a proud smile, he jubilantly hoisted the Bhutanese flag atop Mount Everest, marking a historic moment for both himself and Bhutan.

“Mount Everest is the highest peak on earth. When I reached the summit, what I thought at that moment was so many flags of other countries were hoisted atop the mountain in the past. And when I was there on at 9:30 AM with our own flag, I was so proud. It’s a feat that I celebrate not just for myself but for all Bhutanese”

Jigme’s successful homecoming marked a moment of pride and celebration for the entire nation. From a physical celebration held in his honour to warm wishes from people on social media, his journey from the serene valleys of Bhutan to the treacherous slopes of Everest has not only captivated the imagination of the nation but has also served as a source of inspiration for generations to come.

“I heard this news a few days ago that he is embarking on this journey. And at first, since it was the first time for our country, I was a bit nervous for what might come in the future. But as I thought about it, I said to myself that we could do it. I believed in him and I am happy that I thought those thoughts because at the end he could really do it,” said Tshering Yangchen Wangdi, a student.

“I am feeling really proud as a Bhutanese and I am just amazed by the courage he built up so that he could achieve something this great,” said Ayush Chhetri, another student.

Jigme with his experience said there are four camps on the way to the top of the Everest and his experience was different than what he saw and heard from people.

“There is a risk but I went there with the mentality that I am taking our flag with me. I was also protected by the deities and with the blessings of His Majesty The King, I could come home safe,” said Jigme Pelden Dorji.

SamtenDolkar/KelzangThinley

Edited by Kipchu 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube