Bhutanese rafting instructors get international certification

Eight Bhutanese river rafting instructors are now certified to work as river rafting guides at the international level. The eight are among the 10 instructors who attended a two-week long training in International River Guides Training and Rescue 3 in Punakha.

The International River Guides Training and Rescue 3 is the first of its kind conducted in the country.

The training, which concluded yesterday was delivered by the Adventure Consultancy, an international adventure consultant.

“One of the challenges was the time. We had a very short period to bring people to the standard required. The programme is normally a lot longer but it was done on a short basis here. I have worked with many of these guides for longer periods, so I know the level of experience they had coming into the course. So, that allowed us to adapt to make it a more robust programme for the guides in Bhutan,” said Anthony Eddies-Davies, director of Adventure Consultancy.

According to the Department of Tourism, the certified guides will now conduct refresher course to aid other river guides in the country seeking international accreditation.

The selection of the ten local river rafting instructors was based on their experience and specific criteria.

“We have been waiting for this training for a long time. Usually, to get this certificate, we have to go to Nepal. This is the first time that such training is conducted here in Bhutan and I am happy. For the safety of those who want to try rafting, we need this training and I think we can also teach other guides the skills,” said Thinley Namgay,

“This international-level certificate is going to help all of us. I have taught many river guides but I was an unauthorised instructor to teach them. Now, I am certified, which means I am now an authorised instructor. This training will now enhance the quality and standard of rafting service,” said Thinley Tobden, also a river rafting guide.

The certified guides were provided with certificates in the capital today.

The Department of Tourism and UNDP Bhutan in collaboration with XPlore Bhutan, a private company conducted the training.

Deki Lhazom

Edited by Sherub Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube