Zebra crossing safety concerns worry Thimphu residents

Residents in Thimphu say faded zebra crossings are causing huge inconveniences. Moreover, zebra crossings in risky locations is endangering their lives according to pedestrians. People complain that without proper zebra cross markings, some tend to jaywalk on the roads and are calling the Thimphu Thromde to fix the issues.    

Roads in Pamtsho, upper Motithang, and Lungtenphu do not have zebra cross markings.

The Thimphu Police Traffic Division has informed the Thromde to mark zebra crossings in strategic locations, and the need for underpasses and overhead pedestrian bridges.

Sangay Dorji, a resident said, “The problem with our roads is the zebra crossings. As you can see here, all the paint has faded, which causes problems for people in general and us drivers as well.”

“From my perspective, I think that the zebra crossing here is a little unnecessary as we all see the roundabout is just near the zebra crossing. And then when people are passing by it is a little inconvenient for them,” said another resident, Lekzin Lhaki Choden.

Apart from the need for zebra crossings in convenient locations, people say overhead pedestrian bridges are also necessary in the city.

Below the Memorial Chorten, people BBS talked to say an overhead pedestrian bridge instead of a zebra cross will be more convenient.

“I think this is a common road taken by most of the students and people as well. It is very busy and has a lot of traffic during lunchtime. I think it would be better if there is an overhead bridge so that people can cross safely,” said Anu Mangar, a resident.

Apart from faded zebra crossings, cautionary signs like ‘zebra crossing ahead’ and ‘school ahead’ are also missing in most locations with zebra crossings and schools.

The ones which are there are either rusted, faded, or almost falling off its base.

According to the Thimphu Thromde, there are no current plans to place new cautionary signs or mark zebra crossings.

However, faded zebra crossings are being painted for better visibility.

The Thromde has submitted a proposal to construct four underpasses and overhead pedestrian bridges to the prime minister for review and approval.

Tsheyang Tshogyal (Intern)

Edited by Sherub Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube