Zhemgang declared eco-toursim capital, facilities and amenities expansion underway

Zhemgang, a temperate district, is home to a wide range of animals, birds and plants. It is also favourable for expeditions and retreats. The district was recently declared the eco-tourism capital of the country by the Department of Tourism.  To capitalise on its biodiversity and nature, the district administration is exploring ways to improve the amenities and enhance services to attract tourists. This is also expected to generate employment, improve living standards and contribute to the long-term economic sustainability of the local community.

Besides the wildlife safari at the Royal Manas National Park, Zhemgang has been a thrilling playground for adventurous souls. There are opportunities for river rafting, hiking, bird watching, fly fishing and countryside excursions. Besides, pilgrimage to popular Buli Tsho and soaking in Duenmang Tsachu are also on offer.

However, the district still does not have enough eco-lodges, roadside cafeterias and coffee shops which are essentials to attract visitors. Currently, there are only two cafeterias and four eco-lodges in the district.

The district administration is now in the process of developing such amenities and services. In doing so, employment opportunities have been created.

A newly built cafe at Wangdigang tri-junction, along the Trongsa- Zhemgang-Gelephu highway was opened to business last week.  The cafe is set up by the district administration and run by nine youths from Zhemgang. The district administration also provided them with culinary art and bakery training.

Sangay Tenzin, a cafe operator said, “Our visitors and customers are travellers from Trongsa, Bumthang and Gelegphu. Locals are also coming to our cafe. We have a wide range of fast food items like Bathup, pizza and coffee. We also take orders and prepare them according to the needs of the customers.”

“I have been trained and I have the skills. So I hope to use my skills here and work hard. I feel proud that I am employed here because I will be working for the benefit of the district. Moreover, it is an opportunity to lead my life in a better way,” another cafe operator, Chogyel Lhamo.  

The district administration has prioritised several tourism development activities in the 13th Five-Year Plan.  The administration plans to encourage local entrepreneurs to venture into bird guiding and river guiding and provide camping services.

Since the district focuses on the participation of locals in ecotourism practices, people are hoping that it will help ease rural poverty and boost the local economy.

“Such facilities will not only benefit Zhemgang but also Korphu Gewog of Trongsa. Usually, tourists and visitors come to Trongsa directly without even having a cup of coffee on the way. There are no cafes or restrooms. It is frustrating for them. If they have a good place to take a break, they would feel happy,” said Dorji, a resident of Korphu Gewog in Trongsa.

“Since Zhemgang has a rich biodiversity and has the highest percentage of forest coverage, I feel that the district administration is trying to help us generate income and boost the district’s economy. We are grateful. They are helping employ our children. It is benefitting the whole community,” Dorji Wangchuk, a resident of Trong Gewog in Zhemgang.

Although the district administration does not keep a count of the number of tourists visiting Zhemgang, the office says approximately 500 international tourists would have visited the district last year. The district expects to see a rise in the figure this year.

Pema Samdrup, Zhemgang

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube