Gelephu International Airport resumes domestic operations

The Gelephu International Airport has resumed domestic operations following a four-year hiatus caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. The inaugural Drukair flight from Gelephu to Paro today had just one passenger travelling. Currently, the Gelephu International Airport can only accommodate smaller ATR aircraft.

With the National Assembly General Elections just two days away, 48-year-old Cheje Yangzom, residing in Sarpang’s Samtenling Gewog, opted for the 25-minute Drukair flight from Gelephu to Paro today.

As a constituent of North Thimphu, Cheje is en route to Thimphu to cast her vote.

“Due to its speed, I prefer to travel by air. This is my first time boarding from Gelephu, and I have only traveled to India previously. Normally, it is relatively cheaper by road, but this time, since my other family members are registered in Gelephu, I am the only one headed to cast my vote in Thimphu. Since the flight is scheduled for today, I have postponed my plan to travel tomorrow,” said Cheje Yangzom, a resident.

Officials said fewer people are travelling by air from Gelephu to Paro since it is cost-effective to travel by road.

The airfare is about Nu 6,000 from Gelephu to Paro.

Drukair will operate flights from Gelephu twice a week on Thursdays and Sundays.

The Gelephu Domestic Airport was upgraded to an international airport after the Department of Air Transport received the Aerodrome Certificate from the Bhutan Civil Aviation Authority in September of last year.

Karma Wangdi, Gelephu

Edited by Sherub Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube