Sharing Trashigang’s undocumented history with the youth

Trashigang Town has been built on a spot which used to be a place to play, wash and unwind for monks of the Trashigang Rabdhey. This was one of many interesting facts about the district shared with the audience gathered yesterday in Trashigang Town. The initiative titled “Pha Gaypai Tam” collected the undocumented history of Trashigang from elders in the district and shared it with the youth. It was carried out as part of the National Day build-up programmes in the district.

As part of the project, the Samkhar Gup started visiting the villages about a week ago, meeting as many senior citizens as possible.

He listened to their stories of the past, stories which would contain information about Trashigang’s history that are not available in books.

75-year-old Tashi Tshewang shared his memory of the time when roads were being constructed in Trashigang for the first time. About eight or nine years old then, he recollects going to the work site frequently, out of fascination.

He also remembers the first houses in Trashigang Town that were constructed out of bamboo.

All this information was recorded and displayed on a large screen to a crowd consisting mainly of young people.

“I have learned many new things of the past, so maybe when I grow up, I’ll write a book on Trashigang Dzong, how it was constructed and the challenges faced by the people, and this book would benefit the younger generation,” said Thinley Choden.

“Many of us don’t know about the Trashigang Dzong, when and how it was built, today’s programme helped me know all this. I will also be able to share this knowledge with my mates,” said another Trashigang youth, Dorji Pem.

“I never heard about Trashigang’s history before, so today I came to learn it. I think it will be very useful if a book is written using the information,” said Tashi Dema, a student.

The objective of the project was to share the history of Trashigang, especially those that are not recorded, with the youth of the district.

To attract young people, the programme also had a dance competition.

Sonam Darjay, Trashigang

Edited by Yeshi Gyaltshen

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube