What National Day signifies to Bhutanese Youth

For most Bhutanese, the National Day resonates celebration of identity, cultures and principles. It is also a day that allows the youth to revisit the country’s history and honour the First Druk Gyalpo Ugyen Wangchuck. As the 116th National Day draws closer, the young ones in the country eagerly await to rejoice and celebrate the day with pride.

The National flags hoisted along the highways, the town glimmered with lights and roundabouts repainted, these have set the stage for a festive mood in the capital ahead of the grand celebration of the 116th National Day.

Stimulated by the joyous atmosphere, youths residing in the capital expressed their excitement for the National Day.

For some, the National Day signifies the establishment of a hereditary monarchy under the Wangchuck dynasty, others mark it as the beginning of peace and prosperity in the country.

“I am very happy that the National Day is approaching because we will get to listen to His Majesty’s Address. Moreover, I am excited to get a sight of His Royal Highness Gyalsey Jigme Namgyel during the celebration,” said Ugyen Namgay.

“National Day in Bhutan symbolizes an important milestone in the history of Bhutan. It marks the day when our first King was crowned. This year the National Day is being held at Changlimithang. So I am very much excited about it and I would like to wish everyone a Happy National Day,” said Karma Yangzom.

“For this upcoming National Day, I hope all the Bhutanese are excited like me. I am happy that I get to do my duty at Changlimithang. I am happy to be part of this celebration,” said Passang Norbu, a Desuup.

Sangay Dorji, a trainee at the Royal Institute for Tourism and Hospitality, says they “are taking part in the 116th National Day in the hospitality section. We are excited to contribute to this big celebration.”

“We are truly blessed because of Their Majesties. The National Day is the day to show our gratefulness,” said Tandin Bidha.

“I am very excited to go to Changlimithang to celebrate National Day,” said Karma Dorji.

For this National Day, the youth across the country can be seen actively participating in various activities, such as dance competitions and cultural performances, and also creating content online.

These, for them, are their way of expressing gratitude and patriotism to the country

Kinzang Lhadon

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube