People of Punakha contribute to Bhutan Health Trust Fund

Every year, the Bhutan Health Trust Fund spends millions of ngultrum to purchase medicine and vaccines for the country. In the hope of helping the Health Trust Fund, the people of Punakha have started an initiative to voluntarily contribute funds to the Bhutan Health Trust Fund. The initiative was started in line with the 13th Dzongkhag Tshogdu’s resolution. The eleven gewogs and the Thromde have collected more than Nu 600,000 in just a month.

At Kabisa Gewog Centre in Punakha last month, the community leaders were counting the money received from the people. They came to hand over the funds collected from the people to the Gewog Administration. Kabisa Gewog had the highest contribution with almost Nu 150,000.

Contributions were accepted only in cash to ensure transparent and accountable record-keeping.  The collection started earlier last month.

“I could only contribute Nu 500 since I only had that much of cash. It is a good opportunity for us to accumulate merit. I pray this amount will help a little in procuring medicines,” said Sangchu, a resident of Kabisa Gewog.

“My wife and I contributed Nu 300 each last time, totalling Nu 600. However, we feel we should contribute more. Health is the most important to us and to everyone,” said Gomchhen, also a resident of Kabisa Gewog.

Tandin Yangden, who is also from Kabisa Gewog said,“we have contributed willingly and voluntarily, without any pressure. I contributed around Nu 200, hoping it would make a difference. This program is an excellent idea.”

The voluntary contribution was launched after local leaders consulted the public. It was then discussed during the Dzongkhag Tshogdu. The Tshogdu formed a committee comprising local leaders to oversee the initiative’s execution.

Chhoeten Nyibu-Uesarkha Tshogpa Dodo said, “I received medical treatment in India with financial support from the government. It cost around Nu 280,000. This experience made me realize the importance of the Health Trust Fund. I have decided to donate my entire salary this month to support it.”

“I have visited the gewog centres individually and discussed with the people before Dzongkhag Tshogdu. All of them were in favour of supporting the idea,” said Sonam Dorji, Punakha Dzongkhag Tshogdu Chairperson.

The committee is hoping to hand over the fund to the Bhutan Health Trust Fund soon.

Changa Dorji, Punakha

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube