HM Queen Mother Dorji Wangmo Wangchuck inaugurates Bhutan Tshar Institute

Her Majesty Queen Mother Dorji Wangmo Wangchuck inaugurated the Bhutan Tshar Institute in Monggar today. The Bhutan Tshar Institute is a centre that provides training on bamboo craft. The centre is located at Kalapang in Saling Gewog.

The Bhutan Tshar Institute is just a few kilometres away from Gyalpoizhing.

Following the inaugural, Her Majesty also visited the exhibition which had on display various bamboo products manufactured at the training centre.

Currently, the centre has three trainers and 11 people undergoing basic furniture production training.

“Being a farmer, I did not know the different kinds of products that can made using bamboo but the training here has helped me understand all this and also learn the skills needed to make them, such as making tables, beds, chairs and others,” said Sonam Tenzin Lhop, a trainee at the centre.

“In my village, we have plenty of bamboo, and there isn’t any shortage of raw material, but we have been lacking skills and training. But now that I have the skills, I want to help minimize imports,” said Deki Yangzom Lhop.

The institute plans to provide advanced bamboo skill training courses in the future.

The construction of the institute began in 2019 and was completed in mid of this year. It was funded by the SAARC Development Fund.

Her Majesty also met with the local community members and gave Soelra and a Tokha to the public.

Later in the day, Her Majesty also met with the students of Gyalpozhing Higher Secondary School.

Sonam Darjay

Edited by Yeshi Gyaltshen

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube