Electricity to brighten homes in Lingzhi soon

People of Lingzhi Gewog in Thimphu can now look forward to literally brighter lives. The Bhutan Power Corporation Limited will test its electricity supply system next month.

Today, power cables run over the roofs of the houses in Lingzhi, one of the most remote villages of Thimphu. It will not be long before they are put to use.

Without an electrical grid power supply, people have been managing with solar panels for the energy.

“After we get the power supply, I am planning to open a shop here. I lived in Paro before doing some business. However it was difficult and the returns were not so good. Here, I think any kind of business will thrive. The prospective is better here,” said one of the locals, Passang Tshamchoe.

Other residents also said electricity will play a key role in reducing the tediousness of household chores and addressing human-wildlife conflict.

“Having access to a proper electricity supply will have a huge difference in our lives. We can install electric fences and address the human-wildlife conflict that we are facing at the moment. We can watch television and even work at night, whenever necessary,” said another resident named Chimi Gembo.

The electrification works began in July, 2015. It was completed in October last year. The Austrian government and the Royal Government of Bhutan jointly funded the project. The Chief Project Manager of Rural Electrification Division of BPC said the final statement of accounts is yet to be worked out. The project will benefit over a hundred households of Lingzhi.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube