Sarpang running short of quarantine facilities for outbound travelers

Sarpang Dzongkhag is running short of quarantine centres for outbound travellers. The district has 30 quarantine centres which are all packed with outbound travellers and there are still many waiting to get a centre.

Today 343 outbound travellers are undergoing the seven-day quarantine in the facilities in the district. Over the last two weeks, 646 people in Sarpang have registered for quarantine centres. People are not able to travel for medical treatment and other emergency purposes despite waiting for weeks.

“It is running for almost two weeks since I registered online for facility quarantine. I have not received any call yet. When I called them, they said all the quarantine facilities are packed. I registered again. Despite registering for the third time I could not book a quarantine facility,” said Suklal Tamang waiting to travel to Wangdue Phodrang where he works.

“Medical doctor advised me to travel to Thimphu for surgery. I didn’t get a quarantine centre when I applied for the first time. I applied for the second time and still didn’t hear a word from the officials,” added Rinzin Tshering.

Some people are also proposing that the district’s COVID-19 Taskforce should segregate travellers and give preference to those travelling for genuine reasons.

“I need to travel to process my census. It has been one week waiting for the call. I came here to request but they told me I will have to wait. It would help if they could give preference to those who need to travel for emergency purpose. I have issues admitting my child to school without registering for the census,” said Dil Maya Tamang.

The Sarpang COVID-19 Taskforce Incident Commandant Secretariat is facilitating quarantine facilities for travellers. The office said it stopped facilitating quarantine for the district’s outbound travellers in other districts following reports of a breach of COVID-19 protocols in the past.

Karma Wangdi, Sarpang 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube