Residents in Nubi worried with the increasing tiger attacks on livestock, Trongsa

Losing cattle to tiger attacks in Trongsa is on the rise by the year. Residents in Semji Village under Nubi Gewog are now living in fear after a tiger killed a pregnant cow just about 50 metres away from the village on Saturday. 

The cow was attacked after it was sent for grazing right in the periphery of the village. The claws on the neck and the tiger pugmark were could be seen distinctly.

Sonam Choden, the owner of the cow in Nubi Gewog has a close call with the predator. “When I saw the carcass, the tiger must be lying next to it as I heard an angry growl so I ran from there. Actually, I was walking and listening to my mobile phone which was in a loud mode, but the tiger didn’t flee the scene. It’s scary as we might also fall prey to it,” she said.

Everyone is equally worried now. Another farmer says she fears for her life and the lives of others. According to her, as farmers, they have to wake up early and go to their farm. And with the recent incident, she says the risk is grave.

Zeko, an elderly in the gewog says that tigers coming in the village in olden days is very rare. “Before when we were young, tigers do not frequent village because we clear the bushes and cultivate varieties of cereals. But now we have to fear, as we can’t let the cattle graze freely as it is often eaten by the predator,” he said.

Other elderly from the village said that taking the old trail on foot to travel to nearby villages and town is now out of question. The tiger has literally encroached on their territory driving them all to the safety of their homes.

Moreover, they are now worried with schools closed and children at homes due to the pandemic. Dorji Khandu, a farmer in the village says most children in the village are sent to look after the cattle so that their parents can work on the farm. He said due to the increased risk children looking after cattle are armed with knives to fend themselves from the tiger.

And the fear is even worse for the children in the village.

Ugen Thinley, a Student who lives in the village due to the closure of school says risk of encountering a tiger during his daily work is growing by the day. “When we go to help others for farming, we have to travel alone and there is risk of encountering a tiger. Elders say before the lands are free of bushes and trees but now it has all turned into a forest and it is worrisome to go and look after cattle now,” he shared.

Tashi Yuden, also a student in the village says they can only help their parents by collecting firewood and looking after the cattle, both requiring to visit the dreaded forest. “But how can we do that even when we fear to be in the periphery of the village. And the tiger comes near and near our homes yearly and the menace to cattle is increasing every year,” she added.

So far, more than ten cattle have been lost to the tiger attack. And currently, there is no compensation package for tiger attacks and many cases are left unreported in the district. Meanwhile, Global Tiger Centre in Gelegphu and forestry officials in Trongsa will soon clear the bush in the periphery of the village and fence the grazing land.

Royal Bengal tiger, the largest subspecies is the only tiger found in Bhutan. There are some 103 tigers in the country. Tigers around the world are at risk and many protection programmes are in place.

Passang

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube